Help finding minimum Tension that a rope can withstand without breaking

In summary, a person standing on a sagged tightrope exerts three forces: gravity downwards, and tensions from both strands of the rope pulling upwards. These forces must be in equilibrium, resulting in a net force of zero. To find the minimum tension T that the rope must withstand without breaking, the forces must be added as vectors and the equation must be solved for T, using the given variables of h, g, M, and L.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

A person of mass M stands in the middle of a tightrope which is fixed at the ends of two buildings separated by a horizontal distance L. The rope sags in the middle, stretching and lengthening the rope slightly.

a)If the tightrope walker wants the rope to sag vertically by no more than a height h, find the minimum tension T, that the rope must be able to withstand without breaking, in terms of h, g, M, and L.

Homework Equations

f=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea how to approach this. I do not know a single thing to do. Please be thorough and explain to me what has to be done and what to consider. My teachers homework problems are so much different from the reading and what we discuss in class, it is unbelievably harder without guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a value for the mass of the person, also need a value for the young module of the rope, or the material of what is made. Then, look for Hooke's law, that will give you an idea of what you need to find.

I may have posted this in the wrong section.
It's undergraduate physics.

There are no values, you solve solely on variable.

mathnoobie said:
a)If the tightrope walker wants the rope to sag vertically by no more than a height h, find the minimum tension T, that the rope must be able to withstand without breaking, in terms of h, g, M, and L.

You need to know addition of forces. The man stands at the middle of the rope which is sagged a bit. His weight is balanced by the forces both pieces of the rope exert on him. Those forces act along the rope. Draw it.

ehild

I have the diagram.
I also know the forces, but I don't really know what to do with them.
force of gravity on the string
force of gravity on the person
force of person on the string
force of tension(this is the one I kind of don't understand)

How would I do this on paper and solve for those variables?

You do not show the diagram, so I show it to you. The person is standing on the string, he is in equilibrium, the resultant force on it is zero.

Gravity pulls the man downwards, and the rope keeps him up. Both strands of rope exert T force on the man (T for "tension": the rope exerts the same force along its length everywhere.) The direction of the tension is the same as that of the rope. It makes the same angle θ with the horizontal direction as the rope does.

So you have three forces exerted on the man: gravity and the two tensions. The forces are vectors, and their sum must be zero.

Do you know how to add vectors?

ehild

Attachments

• rope.JPG
    rope.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 650

Related to Help finding minimum Tension that a rope can withstand without breaking

1. What is the minimum tension that a rope can withstand without breaking?

The minimum tension that a rope can withstand without breaking is dependent on various factors such as the type of rope, its diameter, and its material. However, most ropes can withstand at least 10% of their breaking strength.

2. What factors affect the minimum tension a rope can withstand?

The factors that affect the minimum tension a rope can withstand include its material, diameter, length, and the type of load it is subjected to. Other factors such as environmental conditions and the age of the rope can also play a role.

3. Can the minimum tension a rope can withstand be accurately determined?

Yes, the minimum tension a rope can withstand can be accurately determined by conducting tension tests in a controlled environment. These tests involve gradually increasing the tension on the rope until it breaks, and then recording the maximum tension it can withstand.

4. How can I determine the minimum tension my specific rope can withstand?

To determine the minimum tension your specific rope can withstand, you can refer to the manufacturer's specifications or conduct tension tests yourself. It is important to note that different ropes have different breaking strengths, so it is essential to use the right type of rope for your intended purpose.

5. Is it safe to use a rope at its minimum tension limit?

No, it is not safe to use a rope at its minimum tension limit. Ropes are designed to withstand forces within a certain range, and using them at their minimum tension limit may cause them to fray, weaken, or break, leading to potential accidents or injuries. It is important to always use ropes within their recommended working load limit for safety.