Help finding the answer to DE using method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding coefficients for an equation. The participant is struggling with finding the coefficients due to irrational numbers but is advised to double-check their algebra for mistakes.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

y'' - 5y' = 2x^3 - 4x^2 -x + 6

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the m's on the left hand side. They are 0 and 5. I then found the m's on the right hand side. They are 0, 0, 0, and 0. I then wrote my interim equation:

y = C1 + C2e^5x + Ax^4 + Bx^3 + Cx^2 + Dx. Because there already is a 0 on the left hand size for m, then there are x's for each part of the equation on the right side.

This is where I'm confused. I have tried to find the coefficients by finding the first and second derivatives of Yp, but I get very odd numbers when I solve for the variables(B = 14/75 and C = 5.324 for example). Am I on the right track or did I screw up somewhere? We have never been presented with irrational coefficients before (as is the case with C), so I'm thinking I did something wrong somewhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're on the right track. I think you're just making algebraic errors when solving for A, B, C, and D, so double-check your work for mistakes. If you post your actual work in solving for them, others and I can see if we spot any mistakes as well.

D'oh. You were right. Thank you!

I don't see anything wrong, but don't use approximations, since that will foul things up. Instead of 5.324, use the exact value.

There were no approximations, my algebra was just poor.

Related to Help finding the answer to DE using method of undetermined coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve differential equations, specifically linear non-homogeneous equations. It involves finding a particular solution by guessing a solution based on the form of the forcing function and then solving for the coefficients.

2. When should I use the method of undetermined coefficients?

You should use the method of undetermined coefficients when solving linear non-homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients. It is most effective when the forcing function is in the form of polynomials, exponential functions, sine or cosine functions, or combinations of these.

3. How do I use the method of undetermined coefficients?

To use the method of undetermined coefficients, first determine the form of the particular solution based on the forcing function. Then, substitute this solution into the differential equation and solve for the coefficients. Finally, combine the particular solution with the complementary solution to get the general solution.

4. What are the limitations of the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for linear non-homogeneous equations with constant coefficients. It also cannot be used for differential equations with repeated roots or when the forcing function is not in the form of polynomials, exponential functions, sine or cosine functions, or combinations of these.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several alternative methods to solving differential equations, such as the method of variation of parameters, Laplace transform, and the method of power series. Which method is most appropriate depends on the form of the differential equation and the forcing function.