Help for solving a 2nd order non-linear ODE

In summary: You can integrate this over the interval [0,1] to get:y^2(C+\ln^2{y}) = 1In summary, Stephen has these backwards.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

[tex]yy''-y'^2 = y^2lny[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well, since the equation is of the form [itex]f(y,y',y'')=0[/itex] I turn it into the form [itex]f(y,p,p dp/dy)=0[/itex].
After those substitutions are made, we'll have the following equation:
[tex]yp (\frac{dp}{dy})-p^2-y^2 lny=0[/tex]
which is a Bernoulli equation that can be solved easily. the solution of this ODE is:
[tex]p^2=y^2lny+cy^2[/tex]
Here's where I'm stuck, because If I substitute y'=p again I'll have an ODE that I don't know how to solve it, I guess the general solution will be parametric, but I don't know how to proceed from this step.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianZ said:
[tex]yy''-y'^2 = y^2lny[/tex]

One thought is:
[tex] D( \frac{y'}{y}) = ln(y) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{y'}{y} = \int ln(y) [/tex]

Have you tried a substitution y(x)=eq(x) ?

Stephen Tashi said:
One thought is:

Would you explain more please?

dextercioby said:
Have you tried a substitution y(x)=eq(x) ?

I don't know how that would work. Would you explain more?

Stephen Tashi said:
One thought is:

AdrianZ said:
Would you explain more please?
Stephen has these backwards.

D(ln(y)) = y'/y
so ln(y) = ∫(y'/y)

Mark44 said:

D(ln(y)) = y'/y
so ln(y) = ∫(y'/y)

Yes, I understood that, but how does that help?

I think this is what he means:
[itex]y'^2 = y^2 lny + cy^2[/itex]→ [itex]y^{-2}y'^2-lny=C[/itex]
→ [itex]\frac{y'^2}{y^2} - lny = C[/itex]→ [itex](\frac{y'}{y})^2 - (\int{\frac{y'}{y}dy})=C[/itex]
Hence, the equation has turned into the form [itex]u'^2 - u = C[/itex]. Has anything changed? Can I solve this one?

Mark44 said:

D(ln(y)) = y'/y
so ln(y) = ∫(y'/y)

That's not my thought. My thought is that the original equation is equivalent to the equation [itex] D(\frac{y'}{y}) = ln(y) [/itex]

But employing what you said:

[tex] D(\frac{y'}{y}) = \int \frac{y'}{y} [/tex]

Last edited:
Ahh, now I see what you mean. That's a great way of doing this ODE once you know that D(y'/y)=(yy''-y'^2)/y^2. Is there anyway to proceed with my own method?

AdrianZ said:
Is there anyway to proceed with my own method?

I don't see how to use your method. As understand the situation, the solution of the Bernoulli equation that you employ assumes that [itex] p [/itex] is a known function. But [itex] p [/itex] isn't known.

AdrianZ said:
[...]
I don't know how that would work. Would you explain more?

It would get you rid of the natural logarithm and perhaps the transformed ODE would be integrable...

AdrianZ said:
the solution of this ODE is:
[tex]p^2=y^2lny+cy^2[/tex]

Your solution is wrong at this step!

The correct solution is:

[tex]
p y^2 (C + \ln^2{y}) = 1, \ p = y'
[/tex]

If you split the variables, the integral over y is expressible in terms of elementary functions.

Related to Help for solving a 2nd order non-linear ODE

1. How do I determine if an ODE is 2nd order and non-linear?

The order of an ODE refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. Therefore, if the equation contains a second derivative, it is a 2nd order ODE. Non-linear ODEs contain nonlinear terms involving the dependent variable or its derivatives.

2. What methods can be used to solve a 2nd order non-linear ODE?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a 2nd order non-linear ODE, including substitution, variation of parameters, and power series. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific equation and initial conditions.

3. Can a 2nd order non-linear ODE have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the initial conditions, a 2nd order non-linear ODE can have multiple solutions. This is because the nonlinear terms in the equation can lead to different behaviors of the solution, resulting in multiple possible solutions.

4. Are there any special cases of 2nd order non-linear ODEs that have closed-form solutions?

Yes, there are some special cases of 2nd order non-linear ODEs that have closed-form solutions, such as the Riccati equation and the Bernoulli equation. These equations have specific forms that allow for easier solution methods and result in closed-form solutions.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my solution to a 2nd order non-linear ODE?

One way to check the accuracy of a solution to a 2nd order non-linear ODE is to substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solution and compare it to the analytical solution. If the two solutions are similar, then the analytical solution is likely accurate.