Help in checking the solution of this separable equation

• Thread starter enggM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary: In the above, do you mean- (u^-2 + 1)/(-2 + 1)- (u^-2 + 1)/(-2) + 1- u^(-2 + 1)/(-2 + 1)- (u^-2) + (1/(-2 + 1))Or something else?In summary, the original problem involved finding an integral and the conversation focused on the correct use of parentheses in solving it. The correct solution was determined to be y^3 = -3/x + 3 ln x + C when using the correct integration expression of ∫(1+x)/x^2 dx. The importance of using parentheses was emphasized throughout the conversation.
enggM

Homework Statement

It is just an evaluation problem which looks like this dx/dy = x^2 y^2 / 1+x

Homework Equations

dx/dy = x^2 y^2 / 1 + x

The Attempt at a Solution

What i did is cross multiply to get this equation y^2 dy = x^2 / 1+x dx then next line ∫y^2 dy = ∫x^2/1+x dx

y^3/3 = ∫dx + ∫1/x dx after simplifying i get y^3=3x + 3 ln x + C but I am not sure if this is the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I presume that you really mean dx/dy= x^2y^2/(1+ x). What you wrote, dx/dy= x^2y^2/1+ x, is the same as dx/dy = x^2y^2+ x.

More importantly you have separated the x and y incorrectly. The left side is y^2 dy but the right sides should be [(1+ x)/x]dx. You have the fraction inverted.

oh, so when i integrate [1+x / x] dx would it look like ∫1/x + ∫x dx? or something else?

enggM said:
oh, so when i integrate [1+x / x] dx would it look like ∫1/x + ∫x dx? or something else?
1 + x/x = 1+1 =2.

enggM said:

Or did you intend the above to mean (1 + x)/x? If that's what you intended, it does absolutely no good to put brackets around the entire expression.

In post #1 you wrote what I've quoted below. For that, you need parentheses around the denominator, as x2y2/(1 + x).

enggM said:
It is just an evaluation problem which looks like this dx/dy = x^2 y^2 / 1+x

Oh sorry about that, what i intend to do is to integrate the entire expression. As it is the right hand side of the equation, no problem with y^2 dy but the right side looks a bit confusing. In the expression (1 + x) / x dx as was suggested is what i intend to integrate, so is this the right integration expression, ∫1 / x dx + ∫ dx? if so then ln x + x + C should be sufficient for the RHS, is it not?

enggM said:
Oh sorry about that, what i intend to do is to integrate the entire expression. As it is the right hand side of the equation, no problem with y^2 dy but the right side looks a bit confusing. In the expression (1 + x) / x dx as was suggested is what i intend to integrate, so is this the right integration expression, ∫1 / x dx + ∫ dx? if so then ln x + x + C should be sufficient for the RHS, is it not?
Yes, you can split ##\int \frac{1 + x}{x} \ dx## into ##\int \frac {dx} x + \int 1 \ dx##.

so the answer y^3 = 3x + 3 ln x + C should be correct? ok i get it now thanks for the time.

enggM said:
so the answer y^3 = 3x + 3 ln x + C should be correct? ok i get it now thanks for the time.
No @enggM, this is not correct. The work you did before was incorrect, and my earlier response was based on that work. I think you need to start from the beginning.

$$\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{x^2y^2}{1 + x}$$

If you multiply both sides by 1 + x, then divide both sides by ##x^2##, and finally, multiply both sides by dy, the equation will be separated. What do you get when you do this?

@Mark44 i would get (1+x / x^2 ) dx = y^2 dy so integrating the both sides y^3 / 3 = 1 / x + ln x so the final form would then be y^3 = 3/x + 3 ln x + C? no?

enggM said:
@Mark44 i would get (1+x / x^2 ) dx = y^2 dy so integrating the both sides y^3 / 3 = 1 / x + ln x so the final form would then be y^3 = 3/x + 3 ln x + C? no?

From
[tex] y^2 dy = \left( 1 + \frac{x}{x^2} \right) dx [/tex]
you will get
[tex] \frac{1}{3} y^3 = x + \ln (x) + C[/tex]
From
[tex] y^2 dy = \frac{1 + x}{x^2} dx [/tex]
you will get
[tex] \frac{1}{3} y^3 = -\frac{1}{x} + \ln (x) + C[/tex]

Which do you mean? Why are you still refusing to use parentheses? Do you not see their importance?

enggM said:
In writing (1 + x/x2) above, you are using parentheses, but aren't using them correctly (as Ray also points out). If you have a fraction where either the numerator or denominator (or both) has multiple terms, you need parentheses around the entire numerator or denominator, not around the overall fraction.

If you mean ##\frac{1 + x}{x^2}##, write it in text as (1 + x)/x^2, NOT as (1+x / x^2 ). What you wrote means ##1 + \frac x {x^2} = 1 + \frac 1 x##.

sorry about the confusion because sometimes when i solve something like this in paper i sometimes leave out the parenthesis. so the final form would be y^3 = -3/x + 3 ln x + C? by the way how did it become a negative? just an additional question.

enggM said:
sorry about the confusion because sometimes when i solve something like this in paper i sometimes leave out the parenthesis. so the final form would be y^3 = -3/x + 3 ln x + C? by the way how did it become a negative? just an additional question.
What is ##\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{x^2}dx\ ?##

enggM said:
sorry about the confusion because sometimes when i solve something like this in paper i sometimes leave out the parenthesis
On paper you can freely write the fraction as it's normally portrayed, however, if you mean that you do sometimes write everything on a single line and still don't use parentheses, then you need to break out of that habit. Parentheses are crucial.

@SammyS oh i see i remember now it should be u^-2+1 / -2 +1.
@Mentallic ok thanks...
thanks for all of your help in checking for the solution and answer to this problem helped me understand it much better.

enggM said:
@SammyS oh i see i remember now it should be u^-2+1 / -2 +1.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to anything people in this thread have told you about the importance of using parentheses.

1. How do I check the solution of a separable equation?

To check the solution of a separable equation, you need to substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then the solution is correct.

2. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated and solved independently. This means that the equation can be written in the form of f(x)dx = g(y)dy where f and g are functions of x and y respectively.

3. How do I solve a separable equation?

To solve a separable equation, you need to separate the variables and integrate both sides of the equation. This will give you the general solution. Then, you can use initial conditions or boundary conditions to find the particular solution.

4. What is the purpose of checking the solution of a separable equation?

Checking the solution of a separable equation is important to ensure that the solution is correct and satisfies the original equation. This helps to avoid any errors or mistakes in the solving process and provides confirmation that the solution is accurate.

5. Can computer software be used to check the solution of a separable equation?

Yes, computer software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Maple can be used to check the solution of a separable equation. These software programs have built-in functions that allow for the solution to be checked and verified. However, it is always important to manually check the solution as well for accuracy.