Help in choosing one Engineering Major along Physics Major.

In summary, this article tells a high school student that if they want to pursue a career in physics, they should consider picking up another engineering major as well. It explains that physics is related to electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering, and that it is helpful to have a good understanding of matrix algebra.
Amey Shukla
Hello,

I am a high-school student. I'll be going to a college next year.

I've decided to pick up Physics as a major. The employment sector, for physics, is not as rich as Engineering sector. Due to parents, who only wish to see me succeed, I've planned to pick up one other Engineering Major along with Physics.

I've planned for Computer Science, however, if there is any other course with same or greater prospects as CS that might be related to my major in Physics, I'd love to pick it.

I planned CS as I'm good with computers. I can pick things faster, although I'm not very addicted to this particular course.

Please don't recommend Maths. If there is need, I might go to classes or declare it as my minor, but I'd like to have an Engineering Major.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering are all complemented well by a thorough understanding of the underlying physics.

Mechanical and civil engineering are similar in the areas of physics used, differing in the types of projects and employers you'd be working with. Check out the Practical Engineering channel on YouTube to get a little flavor of what civil engineering involves.

Electrical engineering benefits from a thorough understanding of electrodynamics, and some sub-areas of electrical engineering use a bit of quantum physics.

You'll have a better idea of which of these you enjoy once you've gotten into your second or third introductory physics course, whichever covers basic electromagnetism.

Also, I highly recommend that you take a linear algebra/matrix algebra as soon as you can. It will help you at least a little and sometimes a lot in just about every physics and engineering course after your first year.

Thank You. Anything else worth looking to?

Related to Help in choosing one Engineering Major along Physics Major.

1. What is the difference between an engineering major and a physics major?

An engineering major focuses on the application of scientific principles to design, develop, and build practical solutions to real-world problems. A physics major, on the other hand, focuses on studying the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy.

2. Can I major in both engineering and physics?

Yes, many universities offer dual majors or double majors in engineering and physics. This can provide a well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities.

3. What engineering majors are closely related to a physics major?

Some engineering majors that have a strong physics component include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. These majors use principles of physics in their design and analysis processes.

4. How do I choose between an engineering major and a physics major?

This decision ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you enjoy solving practical problems and have a strong math and science background, an engineering major may be a good fit. If you have a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe, a physics major may be a better choice.

5. Are job opportunities and salaries different for engineering and physics majors?

While both engineering and physics majors have a wide range of career opportunities, the job market and salaries may differ. Generally, engineering majors have a higher demand and higher starting salaries, but physics majors may have more opportunities in research and academia. It's important to research specific industries and career paths to determine which major may be more beneficial for your career goals.