Help me find a comparable textbook

• Studying
  • Thread starter gimak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, "Electricity and Magnetism" by E. Purcell & D. Morin, 3rd edition, is a deep and rigorous textbook for introductory electricity and magnetism classes. It requires advanced knowledge in mathematics and physics, including vector analysis and special relativity. The book covers topics such as the relationship between magnetic and electric forces, calculating magnetic fields using vector potential, and both integral and differential forms of Maxwell's equations. While some may prefer "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, there is no textbook as rigorous and comprehensive as Purcell's for freshmen and sophomore level classes.
gimak
Please help me find a similar textbook to the one below. Note that I'd like it on the internet and free. Thanks!

"Electricity and Magnetism", E. Purcell & D. Morin, 3rd edition. From what I've heard, it's a textbook for an introductory electricity and magnetism class. Note that it has some advanced 3D calculus in there. Here's a description of it:

Text from a Nobel Laureate. What a privilege that we own to be able to not only read it but to study seriously from it.

First of all, this book is deep. You need to be very potent in advanced Maths (Vector analysis) & Physics (Special Relativity) to be able to discover the beauty of EM theory that Purcell presents in this remarkable book.

This book tells you that:

1. Magnetic force is actually electric force caused by relative movement of charged particles. (You need to learn Special Relativity before you can understand Chap 5)

2. How to calculate magnetic field using vector potential( just in a similar way that we use to calculate electric field using scalar potential). If you want to know how to derive Biot Savart Law, which Halliday's Physics won't even bother, you will find it in Chap 6.

3. Both integral and differential form of Maxwell equations (in terms of vector operators, e.g. G.D.C.-- Gradient, Divergence and Curl)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there,

Some people love the book: "Introduction to electrodynamics", by Griffiths. Check it out and see if it's your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Ok, but it says this book is for juniors and seniors taking intermediate level e&m. Is there any textbook as rigorous as the one I mentioned and is for freshman/sophomore level e&m?

gimak said:
Is there any textbook as rigorous as the one I mentioned and is for freshman/sophomore level e&m?

I'm afraid there isn't. Purcell is the best book in this regard.

1. What is the purpose of finding a comparable textbook?

Finding a comparable textbook allows for a better understanding of a new or difficult concept by comparing it to something familiar. It can also help provide additional resources for studying and learning.

2. How do I determine if a textbook is comparable?

When searching for a comparable textbook, look for similar topics, level of difficulty, and structure. You can also compare the table of contents, chapter titles, and learning objectives to see if they align with the textbook you are currently using.

3. Can I use textbooks from different subject areas as a comparison?

It is not recommended to use textbooks from different subject areas as a comparison. While they may cover similar topics, the terminology, examples, and approach may differ greatly, making it difficult to fully understand the original concept.

4. Should I use an older edition of a textbook as a comparison?

Using an older edition of a textbook can be helpful in some cases, but it is important to make sure the content is still relevant and accurate. Look for major updates or changes in the newer edition that may make it more comparable to the textbook you are currently using.

5. Where can I find comparable textbooks?

You can find comparable textbooks by searching online or at your school's library. You can also ask your professor or colleagues for recommendations on similar textbooks that may be helpful for studying and understanding the material.