Help me in problem related to simple harmonic oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to Simple Harmonic Oscillations, specifically involving a test tube floating on water and its vertical oscillations. The goal is to show that the oscillations are SHO and find the period of oscillations. The conversation also touches on using Newton's second law and conservation of energy to solve the problem.
Hareesh
Problem related to Simple Harmonic Oscillations

A test tube floats, mass 20gm is set into vertical oscillations on the surface of the water. If the external diameter of the tube is 2.5cm, show that the vertical oscillations are SHO and find period of oscillations.
I found it that it attains a simple harmonic motion but I cannot make a equation for it trying for it my best.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you always expect to "find" answers somewhere? How about doing it yourself? If you press a float "x" cm into the water, what is the upward force on it?

What is the speed of an object falling through a V shaped tube at any point. "Conservation of Energy" should give that easily.

Hi Hareesh! :smile:
Hareesh said:
I found it that it attains a simple harmonic motion …

How did you prove that without an equation? :confused:

("shm" doesn't just mean "periodic")

Hint: again, use Newton's second law F = ma to relate the forces on the test tube to its position.

What do you get? :smile:

Related to Help me in problem related to simple harmonic oscillations

1. What is simple harmonic oscillation?

Simple harmonic oscillation is a type of periodic motion where a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with the restoring force being directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How do I solve problems related to simple harmonic oscillation?

To solve problems related to simple harmonic oscillation, you can use the equations of motion for simple harmonic motion, which include: x = A*cos(ωt + φ), v = -A*ω*sin(ωt + φ), and a = -A*ω^2*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic oscillation?

The frequency of simple harmonic oscillation is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The frequency is inversely proportional to the mass and directly proportional to the spring constant and amplitude.

4. Can simple harmonic oscillation occur in real-life systems?

Yes, simple harmonic oscillation can occur in many real-life systems, such as a mass-spring system, a pendulum, and even in sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

5. How does damping affect simple harmonic oscillation?

Damping, which is the process of energy loss in a system, can affect simple harmonic oscillation by gradually decreasing the amplitude of the oscillation over time. This is due to the presence of a damping force that opposes the motion of the system.