Need help to solve an oscillation problem.

• Thread starter Kkurenai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary: The simpler reasoning is this: The mechanical energy is all kinetic when the potential energy is 0. Since PE = ##(1/2)kx^2## then this happens when ##x = 0##. So you're looking for a ##t## value when ##x = 0##.
Kkurenai

Homework Statement

It's an oscillation problem. I have to find the FIRST time when the spring-mass system will have E (mechanical energy) = K (kinetic energy), if x(t)=12sin(5t+3,5). (t is time in seconds, x is lenghtof the system in cm).

Homework Equations

E=1/2kA^2
K= 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think: If E = K, there is no potential energy (U). So we are searching the first time when K will be maximal. I know that Kmax in a simple harmonic motion is when V is max. So, in the trigonometry circle : at π and 2π, 3, 4 etc. Since Φ start at 3,5, little after π, i think that the first time will be at 2π rad (where K is max). But when i use 2π in the equation [ x(t)=12sin(5t+3,5)], i come up with a negative time...
Thanks for helping me sorting this out!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify, ## x(t)=12 \sin(5t+3.5) ## if I interpreted it correctly. (Europe sometimes uses a comma for the decimal point). ## \\ ## Do they want the first time that it occurs where ## t>0 ## ? The statement of the problem seems somewhat unclear.

Likes Kkurenai
Your reasoning is fine. So it will be all kinetic energy at ##2\pi##, which means also at 0, ##\pm 2\pi##, ##\pm 4\pi##, etc. Nothing wrong with your reasoning except for your assumption that ##2\pi## had to be the first without examining the argument.

So find the first number of that form that gives a positive ##t##. It's not ##2\pi##, what's the next time where the function crosses 0?

Likes Kkurenai
RPinPA said:
Your reasoning is fine. So it will be all kinetic energy at ##2\pi##, which means also at 0, ##\pm 2\pi##, ##\pm 4\pi##, etc. Nothing wrong with your reasoning except for your assumption that ##2\pi## had to be the first without examining the argument.

So find the first number of that form that gives a positive ##t##. It's not ##2\pi##, what's the next time where the function crosses 0?
Don't forget the odd multiples of ## \pi ##.

Likes Kkurenai
Charles Link said:
Don't forget the odd multiples of ## \pi ##.
Oops, yes, you're right.

The simpler reasoning is this: The mechanical energy is all kinetic when the potential energy is 0. Since PE = ##(1/2)kx^2## then this happens when ##x = 0##. So you're looking for a ##t## value when ##x = 0##.

Likes Delta2, Kkurenai and Charles Link
RPinPA
Charles Link said:
Just to clarify, ## x(t)=12 \sin(5t+3.5) ## if I interpreted it correctly. (Europe sometimes uses a comma for the decimal point). ## \\ ## Do they want the first time that it occurs where ## t>0 ## ? The statement of the problem seems somewhat unclear.
Thanks Charles,
Yes, it's Φ = 3,5. The question is ''Find the 1st time when E=K.''

Kkurenai said:
when i use 2π in the equation [ x(t)=12sin(5t+3,5)], i come up with a negative time...
So try the next one.

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem occurs when a system or object repeatedly moves back and forth between two points or states. This can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as pendulum swings, sound waves, and even the motion of planets around the sun.

2. How do you solve an oscillation problem?

To solve an oscillation problem, you need to first identify the variables involved in the oscillation, such as amplitude, frequency, and period. Then, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as Hooke's law and simple harmonic motion, to calculate the required values and understand the behavior of the system.

3. What are some common causes of oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including external forces, such as wind or vibrations, and internal forces, such as friction and elasticity. In some cases, the design or material of the object itself can also contribute to oscillations.

4. How can oscillation problems be prevented?

Preventing oscillation problems often involves understanding the underlying causes and making design changes to reduce or eliminate them. This can include adding dampening materials, increasing structural stability, or altering the shape or weight distribution of the object.

5. Are there real-world applications for solving oscillation problems?

Yes, oscillation problems and their solutions have many practical applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, understanding the oscillation of buildings and bridges can help prevent structural failures, while studying the oscillation of stars can provide insights into their composition and evolution.