Why Is the Centripetal Acceleration Positive in Uniform Circular Motion?

In summary: But in similar problems, where the acceleration due to gravity is much smaller, it may have a noticeable effect and should be taken into account.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A child swings a tennis ball attached to a .750 m-string in a horizontal circle above his head at a rate of 5.00 rev/s What is the centripetal acceleration of the tennis ball?

Homework Equations

angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex] = 2pi/T
speed = r[itex]\omega[/itex]

[itex]a_c = -v^2 /r [/itex]
[itex]a_c = -\omega ^2 r [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So its 5 rev/s, or .2s in 1 revolution. Using angular speed I get 10pi radians per second
Plugging in,

[itex]a_c = -(10pi)^2 (.750 m) = -740 m/s^2 [/itex]

But my books answer is 740 m/s^2.

I don't understand why my answer is negative, even though I used the correct formulas. Does anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
I don't understand why my answer is negative
The minus sign is in the formula because the acceleration vector is in the opposite direction to the radius vector. But you are working with scalars, not vectors, so you can drop the minus sign and just say in words which way the acceleration is (if you need to specify it, which you probably do not here).
By the way, the answer is not quite right. The given distance is the length of the string, not the radius of the circle. Gravity should be taken into account.

haruspex said:
By the way, the answer is not quite right. The given distance is the length of the string, not the radius of the circle. Gravity should be taken into account.

What does gravity have to do with the length of the string??

Rijad Hadzic said:
What does gravity have to do with the length of the string??
It does not alter the length of the string, but it does alter the radius of the circle.

haruspex said:
It does not alter the length of the string, but it does alter the radius of the circle.

Oh I see. I got you I think I understand why. I'm not sure why but the question didn't state assume no force of gravity, but I think it was suppose to. This is in the 2d motion chapter in my first physics class, so I don't think they consider stuff like that yet.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Oh I see. I got you I think I understand why. I'm not sure why but the question didn't state assume no force of gravity, but I think it was suppose to. This is in the 2d motion chapter in my first physics class, so I don't think they consider stuff like that yet.
As you found, the centripetal acceleration is roughly 75g, so in this case the shortening in radius is very small and can be ignored.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Regular acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity over time, while centripetal acceleration refers to the change in an object's direction of motion over time. Centripetal acceleration only occurs when an object is moving in a circular path.

3. What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force directed towards the center of the circle. This force can be provided by a variety of sources, such as tension in a string, the force of gravity, or the normal force from a surface.

4. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula can also be written as a = ω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of a car on a curved road, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the rotation of a roller coaster or ferris wheel. It can also be observed in smaller scales, such as the motion of electrons around an atom's nucleus.