What Is the Acceleration at 55 km/h in a Sharp Monaco GP Turn?

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the problem involves an experienced Formula-1 driver approaching a sharp turn in the Monaco Grand Prix and slowing down from 135 km/h to 55 km/h in 10 seconds while rounding the bend. The question asks for the acceleration of the car at the moment its speed reaches 55 km/h, given a radius of 15 m for the curve. To solve the problem, the formula a = v^2 / r is used to calculate the centripetal acceleration, which is then added to the tangential acceleration using the formula V_{0x} + a_x t = V_x. After making some errors in calculations, the final
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Approaching one of the many sharp horizontal turns in the Monaco Grand Prix, an experienced Formula-1 driver slows down from 135 km/h to 55 km/h while rounding the bend in 10 s. If the driver continues to decelerate at this same rate and the radius of the curve is 15 m, what is the acceleration of the car the moment that its speed reaches 55 km/h?

Homework Equations

I think we're probably going to need these 2:
[itex] V_{0x} = a_x t = V_x[/itex]
[itex]\Delta x = (1/2)(V_x + V_{0x})t [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well before I can start this problem I already have a bunch of question. I would like the members of this board to help me with this only, as to not do the problem for me because I won't learn if that happens.

So let me see if I understand the question correctly:

Before reaching the turn, the driver decides to slow down. While traveling with the curve, he is slowing down at the same time from 135 km/h to 55 km/h. and it takes him 10 seconds to slow down to 55 km/h?

Do I have that right? Or does he slow down to 55 km/h before hitting the curve, and while going through the curve he is at a constant 55 km/h the whole time?

You're given radius = 15 m, using 15 m * pi you get the distance from where the curve starts to where it ends, 47 m, am I correct here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then the question goes on to say "If the car continues to decelerate at this same rate and the radius of the curve is 15 m, what is the acceleration of the car the moment that its speed reaches 55 km/h??"

So it's decelerating after it has already reached 55 km/h? how does that even make sense?

Rijad Hadzic said:
While traveling with the curve, he is slowing down at the same time from 135 km/h to 55 km/h. and it takes him 10 seconds to slow down to 55 km/h?
That's how I read it.

Rijad Hadzic said:
using 15 m * pi
You are not told it is a 180 degree turn. The distance will not matter.

Rijad Hadzic said:
So it's decelerating after it has already reached 55 km/h? how does that even make sense?
I do not see the difficulty. It was slowing at a constant rate for 10 seconds (we have to assume) and continues to lose speed at the same rate. The 55km/h is just an instantaneous speed.
The tricky part is that where the question mentions deceleration and acceleration it means two different things. Its references to deceleration are in relation to speed, whereas the question about its acceleration should be taken to mean acceleration as a vector.

haruspex said:
That's how I read it.You are not told it is a 180 degree turn. The distance will not matter.I do not see the difficulty. It was slowing at a constant rate for 10 seconds (we have to assume) and continues to lose speed at the same rate. The 55km/h is just an instantaneous speed.
The tricky part is that where the question mentions deceleration and acceleration it means two different things. Its references to deceleration are in relation to speed, whereas the question about its acceleration should be taken to mean acceleration as a vector.

Hmm I think I'm starting to understand. After I finish the current question I'm on i'll be right back to ask you another one :< lol

Hey guys please tell me if my method is correct:

I used formula: [itex] a = \frac {v^2}{r} [/itex]

where r = radius of the curve, = 15 m
so final velocity is: 55000 meters/hour, or 15.28 m/s,

plugging in I get [itex] a = (15.28^2)/(15) = 15.56 m/s^2 [/itex] but my book gives me answer : [itex] 15.8 m/s^2 [/itex]

is my method correct yall? Was my error in significant figures? I feel like there is more to this problem then just plugging into the equation but I am truly lost here. IF anyone can please help.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Hey guys please tell me if my method is correct:

I used formula: [itex] a = \frac {v^2}{r} [/itex]

where r = radius of the curve, = 15 m
so final velocity is: 55000 meters/hour, or 15.28 m/s,

plugging in I get [itex] a = (15.28^2)/(15) = 15.56 m/s^2 [/itex] but my book gives me answer : [itex] 15.8 m/s^2 [/itex]

is my method correct yall? Was my error in significant figures? I feel like there is more to this problem then just plugging into the equation but I am truly lost here. IF anyone can please help.
You have only calculated the centripetal acceleration. You are told that it is still losing speed, so there is also tangential acceleration. The two need to be added, vectorially.

haruspex said:
You have only calculated the centripetal acceleration. You are told that it is still losing speed, so there is also tangential acceleration. The two need to be added, vectorially.

And do I get tangential acceleration by using formula:

[itex] V_{0x} + a_x t = V_x [/itex]? If so I did this and got [itex] a_{tan} = -2.222 m/s^2 [/itex]

then I did [itex]\sqrt {a_{tan}^2 + a_{centri}^2 } [/itex] and my answer was 15.4 m/s^2, still not my books answer :/

Is this correct though?

Rijad Hadzic said:
And do I get tangential acceleration by using formula:

[itex] V_{0x} + a_x t = V_x [/itex]? If so I did this and got [itex] a_{tan} = -2.222 m/s^2 [/itex]

then I did [itex]\sqrt {a_{tan}^2 + a_{centri}^2 } [/itex] and my answer was 15.4 m/s^2, still not my books answer :/

Is this correct though?
I do not see how adding the tangential component can have reduced the magnitude of the acceleration. Did you make an error in the signs?

haruspex said:
I do not see how adding the tangential component can have reduced the magnitude of the acceleration. Did you make an error in the signs?
Weird, I did the same thing again and got 15.64. I guess I may have pressed a wrong button on my calculator or something.

Do you think that answer is correct? It's still not 15.8 m/s^2 but it is quite close..

Rijad Hadzic said:
Weird, I did the same thing again and got 15.64. I guess I may have pressed a wrong button on my calculator or something.

Do you think that answer is correct? It's still not 15.8 m/s^2 but it is quite close..
I'm getting 15.72. Try keeping more digits in the intermediate results.

Okay I also got 15.723 now. But the method is still correct though, right?

The method to get the answer = find centripetal acceleration, then find tangential acceleration, then you can find your magnitude and direction, correct?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Okay I also got 15.723 now. But the method is still correct though, right?

The method to get the answer = find centripetal acceleration, then find tangential acceleration, then you can find your magnitude and direction, correct?
Right.

Likes Rijad Hadzic

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity over time. It can be measured using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How does acceleration differ from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change in an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

3. What are the different types of acceleration?

There are three main types of acceleration: positive acceleration, negative acceleration (also known as deceleration), and constant acceleration. Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, negative acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing, and constant acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.

4. How does acceleration affect motion?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in an object's motion. If an object is accelerating, it will continue to gain speed over time, resulting in a change in its position. If an object is decelerating, it will eventually come to a stop. Additionally, acceleration can also affect the direction of an object's motion, causing it to change its course.

5. What factors can affect acceleration?

The factors that can affect acceleration include the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the friction or resistance that the object experiences. In general, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. However, factors such as air resistance and surface friction can also affect an object's acceleration, causing it to either increase or decrease.