What is the minimum radius of curvature for a pilot flying at 1000 km/h?

• Thread starter Plantatree123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the human organism can handle acceleration up to 4 times gravitational acceleration. The minimum radius of curvature for a pilot flying at a constant speed of 1000 km/h is approximately 1970 m, taking into account both tangential and radial acceleration. However, it is important to consider the vector addition of gravity and acceleration, and rounding off results may be necessary.
Plantatree123

Homework Statement

The human organism can handle acceleration that is 4 times bigger than gravitational acceleration. What is the smallest radius of curvature that can handle pilot of an airplane that files with constant speed of 1000 km/h?

Homework Equations

This task seems easy but I don't have idea what to do. All I know is if the pilot is flying with constant speed then tangential acceleration is zero and if we are talking about the minimal radius then radial acceleration must be maximal which means that ar=4•g.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried like this ar= v2/r and then rmin=v2/ar=1966,40m
And the result is 0.25•1011m
There is obviously something I couldn't think of. I'd like someone to give me idea what to do. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello 123, :welcome:

Who says the result is 0.25•1011m ?

BvU said:
Hello 123, :welcome:

Hello writer of workbook This result is in solutions of my workbook

The 0.25 x 1011 m is obviously wrong: the radius of the Earth is 6 x 106 m and planes do fly around with such speeds without killing the passengers.

I don't see anything wrong with your 1970 m, except one thing: the Earth keeps pulling with 1 times g as well. So if the loop is vertical, the driver experiences 5 g at the bottom and 3 at the top. Not good. If the circle is horizontal, 1 g and 4 g add up vectorially to √17 times g, also > 4 g. So I would feel safer in your plane if ar = √15 g (But it's a small correction and I wonder if that is asked for in your exercise)

By the way, if your given data is only in one digit, it is better to round off your results a little bit: so 4g corresponds to a circle with a radius of 1970 m
(personally I would even prefer 2 km, but teacher may think different).

BvU said:
The 0.25 x 1011 m is obviously wrong: the radius of the Earth is 6 x 106 m and planes do fly around with such speeds without killing the passengers.

I don't see anything wrong with your 1970 m, except one thing: the Earth keeps pulling with 1 times g as well. So if the loop is vertical, the driver experiences 5 g at the bottom and 3 at the top. Not good. If the circle is horizontal, 1 g and 4 g add up vectorially to √17 times g, also > 4 g. So I would feel safer in your plane if ar = √15 g (But it's a small correction and I wonder if that is asked for in your exercise)

By the way, if your given data is only in one digit, it is better to round off your results a little bit: so 4g corresponds to a circle with a radius of 1970 m
(personally I would even prefer 2 km, but teacher may think different).
I like your explanation. :) Thank you

BvU said:
[exponent restored]

Reverse engineering the claimed result suggests that the workbook assumed 1000 km/sec rather than 1000 km/hour. This demonstrates that units matter.

Likes BvU

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What is a task from kinematics?

A task from kinematics is a problem or exercise that involves using equations and principles from kinematics to solve for unknown variables related to an object's motion. This can include finding the object's position, velocity, acceleration, or time given other known variables.

3. What are the key principles in kinematics?

The key principles in kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities are related by various equations, such as the equations of motion and the kinematic equations, which can be used to solve problems.

4. How is kinematics related to other branches of physics?

Kinematics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as dynamics and mechanics. While kinematics focuses on the motion of objects without considering the forces involved, dynamics studies the causes of motion and mechanics combines both kinematics and dynamics to analyze the motion of objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many practical applications, such as in engineering, sports, and transportation. It is used to design and analyze the movement of machines, vehicles, and structures, as well as to improve athletic performance and predict the trajectory of projectiles.