Help Need help with an Atwood machine problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework question involving an Atwood machine with two connected objects of different masses. The question asks for the tension in the string, acceleration of each object, and distance they will move in the first second. The person asking for help suggests using F = ma for the first two parts and xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2 for the third. They also provide advice on how to use these formulas.
Tyranicus
I was working on my physics homework and I came across a question that I couldn't find an example of in my notes.

I'm not sure which formulas I need to use and in which order to use them.

Here's the question:

Two objects with masses of 3.00 kg and 5.00 kg are connected
by a light string that passes over a light frictionless
pulley to form an Atwood machine, as in Figure
5.14a. Determine (a) the tension in the string, (b) the
acceleration of each object, and (c) the distance each
object will move in the first second of motion if they start
from rest.

Thanks for the help!

- Tyranicus

Physics news on Phys.org
try F = ma for the first two and maybe xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2 for the third.

I know how to use F = ma but I don't know how to use the second formula.

Thanks very much

-Tyranicus

You should be able to solve both A and B with just F = ma (by creating a system of equations). For the last part Xf = Xi + ViT + 1/2at^2. Xf is just the displacement that we want. Xi is initial position just set it to 0. Vi is initial velocity which is 0. So it's just D = 1/2at^2. You calculated the acceleration, and they give you the time they want.

Related to Help Need help with an Atwood machine problem.

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device used to demonstrate the principles of classical mechanics. It consists of two masses connected by a string that runs over a pulley, allowing the masses to move up and down.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood machine can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the purpose of an Atwood machine?

The purpose of an Atwood machine is to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

4. How can we use an Atwood machine to determine the value of g?

By measuring the masses of the objects and the acceleration of the Atwood machine, we can use the formula g = 2a(m1 + m2) / (m1 - m2) to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, g.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Atwood machines?

Yes, Atwood machines are commonly used in physics education to demonstrate and explore the concepts of force, mass, and acceleration. They are also used in engineering and design to understand and optimize mechanical systems.