Help Needed: Solving Golf Ball Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, the ball has zero kinetic energy at its highest point and zero velocity when it is at its highest point.
miranda82
I have worked out this problem multiple times and i am still getting it wrong, HELP!

I need some help with this, anyone taking a shot is worth it, i would greatly apprieciate

A 47.0 g golf ball is driven from the tee with an initial speed of 52.0 m/s and rises to a height of 23.2 m.
(a) Neglect air resistance and determine the kinetic energy of the ball at its highest point.
J
(b) What is its speed when it is 9.0 m below its highest point?
m/s
it a/a/a/p if anyone can figure it out. Thank you, M.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show us what you've done so far. Were you able to determine the components of the velocity at the time when it left the tee?

Hello, miranda82!
Well, the answers are:
a)When the ball reachs maximum height(in this case, 23.2 m) its velocity is null(zero), because it breaks instantly to change its direction. Consequently, its kinetic energy is null(zero) too.

b)How there is no air resistance or any friction force, but only weight force(which is resultant force) which is a conservative force, so , the mechanics energy is conservatived. Therefore,
mechanical energy at the highest point:mgH(according to (a))
mechanical energy at a point 9.0 m below to highest point:mgh+(1/2)*mv^2
therefore,
mgh+(1/2)*mv^2 = mgH, is equivalent to [2g(H-h)]^1/2=v, which is the velocity that you're finding.
PS.:H:maximum height
h:height 9.0m below to highest point.
Now, it's only substitute the datas and good calculus!

kastarov said:
a)When the ball reachs maximum height(in this case, 23.2 m) its velocity is null(zero), because it breaks instantly to change its direction. Consequently, its kinetic energy is null(zero) too.
Only if it's going straight up.

I haven't done the calculations, but I assume that if the ball had been going straight up, it would have reached a higher altitude than that. You have to use the altitude given to figure out how much of the initial velocity was in the "up" direction and how much was in the "forward" direction.

You are given the initial speed and so can calculate the kinetic energy as the ball leaves the tee. You know the height the ball reaches so you can calculate the potential energy (relative to the ground) there. Since, as Fredrik said, energy is conserved, the kinetic energy at the highest point is The kinetic energy on the ground minus the potential energy at the highest point. You can find the speed of the ball at the highest point from that.

For part b, just figure out how high the ball is when it is "9.0 m below 23.2 meters" and do the same as in (a).

HallsofIvy said:
Since, as Fredrik said, energy is conserved...
I didn't say that, but I could have said it. :smile: I actually had another solution in mind, but yours is easier.

Related to Help Needed: Solving Golf Ball Kinetic Energy Problem

1. What is the problem with golf ball kinetic energy?

The problem with golf ball kinetic energy is that it can greatly affect the distance and accuracy of a golf shot. If the ball has too much kinetic energy, it may travel too far and overshoot the target. On the other hand, if the ball has too little kinetic energy, it may fall short of the target.

2. How is kinetic energy related to golf?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In golf, the player imparts kinetic energy to the ball by swinging the club, and this energy is then converted into the ball's motion. The amount of kinetic energy that the ball has will determine its speed and distance.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a golf ball?

The factors that affect the kinetic energy of a golf ball include the velocity of the swing, the weight and composition of the ball, and the conditions of the playing surface. The type of club used and the skill of the player can also influence the kinetic energy of the ball.

4. How can the problem of golf ball kinetic energy be solved?

To solve the problem of golf ball kinetic energy, it is important to find a balance between the speed and distance of the ball. This can be achieved by choosing the right club, adjusting the swing speed, and taking into account the conditions of the playing surface. Additionally, using golf balls with specific designs and materials can also help optimize kinetic energy.

5. How does understanding golf ball kinetic energy benefit players?

Understanding golf ball kinetic energy can greatly benefit players by helping them improve their accuracy and distance control. By knowing how to manipulate the kinetic energy of the ball, players can make more strategic decisions on the course and potentially lower their scores. It can also aid in choosing the right equipment and making adjustments for different playing conditions.