Help needed with a Statics Question: Load is supported by a Pulley and Cables

MecEngPterois
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
What I did was split the problem into two seperate summations based on x & y coordinates:

Tcos(25) - Tcos(55) - Px = 0
Tsin(25+Tsin(55) +Py - Q = 0,

Where Q = 1860

I initially got an answer of 2391N, but it keeps marking me wrong for said answer.

This is the free body diagram, (the previous question asked me to construct) that I am basing my work off of:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 132413.png
Here is the question.
Screenshot 2023-09-07 132108.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @MecEngPterois !

Could you show us your work in detail?

Think of the principle behind a bow and an arrow.
Is it easier for the hand to initiate the pulling of the cord than directly bending the bow?

The horizontal and vertical force balances on the pulley F should read:
$$T\cos{25}-(T+P)\cos{55}=0$$. $$T\sin{25}+(T+P)\sin{55}-Q=0$$

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is statics and how does it relate to pulleys and cables?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium. Pulleys and cables are often used in statics to transfer forces and support loads.

2. Can you explain how a pulley and cables support a load?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference. Cables, which are flexible and strong, are wrapped around the pulley and attached to the load. When a force is applied to one end of the cable, the pulley redirects the force and distributes it evenly to support the load.

3. How do you calculate the tension in the cables when supporting a load?

The tension in the cables can be calculated using the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero. By setting up an equilibrium equation and solving for the unknown tension, the value can be determined.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a load supported by a pulley and cables?

The stability of a load can be affected by various factors such as the weight and distribution of the load, the strength and angle of the cables, and the friction between the pulley and the cables. Any changes in these factors can impact the equilibrium of the system and potentially cause the load to become unstable.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using pulleys and cables to support a load?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when using pulleys and cables. It is important to ensure that the cables are in good condition and not frayed or damaged. The load should also be evenly distributed and not exceed the weight capacity of the cables. Additionally, proper training and precautions should be taken when operating the pulley system to prevent accidents or injuries.