Reduction of a simple distributed loading

In summary: So there must be an error in the question or in the values given for the loads.In summary, there seem to be multiple mistakes in the given question and the values for the loads. The calculations for the equivalent forces for the triangular and evenly distributed loads are incorrect, and the values for a and b do not satisfy the original equations. It is possible that there is an error in the question or the values given for the loads.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

media%2F57f%2F57f120ce-0d0f-4f53-bb7a-8d2148749813%2FphpSl5E37.png

This is the question, but with me 6 kN/m is 4 kN/m and 2 kN/m is 2.5 kN/m.

I am not yet at the chapter of equations of equilibrium, plus it says the couple moment is not 0, so I assume it just about the loadings and not including the reactive forces and reactive moment.

Homework Equations

F= 1/2*b*h
M= 1/2*b*h*d

The Attempt at a Solution

So if I call the top one F1 and the bottom loading F2 I got:

F1+F2=0= -4*b*1/2+2.5*(b+a)*1/2
solving this i got a=0.6b

Moment around the of the bar (not A, but opposite side) due to the loadings is (counter clockwise positive):

M= -F1*center of triangle + F2*center of triangle
Because you can replace the loading with force F1 and force F2 and its line of action is through the center of the triangle area (1/3* base)
M= -8= -4*b*1/2*1/3b+2.5*(b+a)*1/2*1/3*(b+a)

So what am I doing wrong?
Because M can never be negative with me, plus the answer should be b= 5.625 and a= 1.539.
But this to me makes no sense, because then F1+F2 is not 0.
And if I should take the reactive forces into account at A then you can never have still a moment, because then it is not static anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:

Homework Statement

I am not yet at the chapter of equations of equilibrium, plus it says the couple moment is not 0, so I assume it just about the loadings and not including the reactive forces and reactive moment.

Homework Equations

F= 1/2*b*h
M= 1/2*b*h*d

Moment around the of the bar (not A, but opposite side) due to the loadings is (counter clockwise positive):

Because you can replace the loading with force F1 and force F2 and its line of action is through the center of the triangle area (1/3* base)

Because M can never be negative with me, plus the answer should be b= 5.625 and a= 1.539.
And if I should take the reactive forces into account at A then you can never have still a moment, because then it is not static anymore.
It seems that there is something wrong with this problem you have been given.

(a+b) ≤ 4 m , since that's the length of the beam, but the values for a and b given as your answers don't satisfy this condition.

Working out a and b for the original problem gives values such that (a+b) ≤ 4 m.

Did the length of the beam change when the loads changed? If it did not, then the data for your problem is inconsistent.

SteamKing said:
It seems that there is something wrong with this problem you have been given.

(a+b) ≤ 4 m , since that's the length of the beam, but the values for a and b given as your answers don't satisfy this condition.

Working out a and b for the original problem gives values such that (a+b) ≤ 4 m.

Did the length of the beam change when the loads changed? If it did not, then the data for your problem is inconsistent.
Owh sorry i did not notice. In my question the total length is 9 meter not 4

Pascal1p said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

F= 1/2*b*h
M= 1/2*b*h*d

There is a mistake here in calculating the equivalent force for the evenly distributed load.

You've carried over the mistake in the equivalent force calculation for the distributed load to the moment calculation, and you've compounded this mistake by not using the correct load center for the evenly distributed load.

Why are you treating the evenly distributed load and the triangular load the same? Their distributions are totally different.
When the forces for each load didn't equal each other, that should have told you something was wrong with your calculation.

BTW, I don't get a = 1.539 or b = 5.625. You can plug these values back into the calculations of the equivalent forces for the triangular load and the evenly distributed load and immediately see that the forces are not equal, which they should be to give zero net force.

SteamKing said:
There is a mistake here in calculating the equivalent force for the evenly distributed load.

You've carried over the mistake in the equivalent force calculation for the distributed load to the moment calculation, and you've compounded this mistake by not using the correct load center for the evenly distributed load.

Why are you treating the evenly distributed load and the triangular load the same? Their distributions are totally different.

When the forces for each load didn't equal each other, that should have told you something was wrong with your calculation.

BTW, I don't get a = 1.539 or b = 5.625. You can plug these values back into the calculations of the equivalent forces for the triangular load and the evenly distributed load and immediately see that the forces are not equal, which they should be to give zero net force.
I am so sorry, but i have uploaded the wrong image. I have been on it all night and so was frustrated and just uploaded image from internet that looked like it but did not recognize that it was not same. I will post a new question, could you please look at that. (basically the thing different in my question is that the lower loading is also an triangle and now rectangular).

Thx in advance

1. What is a simple distributed loading?

A simple distributed loading is a type of external force applied to a structure or object that is spread out over a large area. It is usually represented by a uniform load per unit length or area.

2. What is the purpose of reducing a simple distributed loading?

The purpose of reducing a simple distributed loading is to simplify the analysis of a structure or object by replacing the distributed load with an equivalent concentrated load at a specific location. This helps in calculating the internal forces and stresses within the structure.

3. How is a simple distributed loading reduced?

A simple distributed loading can be reduced by determining the total magnitude of the load and its location on the structure, and then replacing it with a single concentrated load of the same magnitude at that location. The point of application for the concentrated load is chosen such that the internal effects and reactions remain the same as the original distributed load.

4. What are the assumptions made when reducing a simple distributed loading?

The assumptions made when reducing a simple distributed loading include that the original distributed load is uniform, the structure is in static equilibrium, and the material of the structure is homogeneous and isotropic. Additionally, the reduction is only valid for structures that are linearly elastic and have negligible deformation in the direction of the distributed load.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing a simple distributed loading?

Yes, there are limitations to reducing a simple distributed loading. This method is only applicable for structures that are linearly elastic and have negligible deformation in the direction of the distributed load. It also does not account for the effects of shear and bending moments, which may be significant for certain types of structures.