Help on a thermodynamics problem -- Power from a steam turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the first law of thermodynamics, specifically the equations P=F*V, dU=Q-W?, and W=m(h1-h2). The individual is having difficulty with the h values found in the steam tables and is also unsure why the volumetric flow rate is being used instead of the mass flow rate. It is suggested that the change in kinetic energy should also be included and that the steady state open system version of the first law of thermodynamics should be used.
grant combs

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-22_13-36-49.png

Homework Equations

P=F*V, dU=Q-W?, W=m(h1-h2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the initial conditions and final conditions written out. For W=m(h1-h2), I have W=9.48(h1-h2). I am having problems with the h values, which can be found in the steam tables.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-22_13-36-49.png
    upload_2017-10-22_13-36-49.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 862
Physics news on Phys.org
grant combs said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 213548

Homework Equations

P=F*V, dU=Q-W?, W=m(h1-h2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the initial conditions and final conditions written out. For W=m(h1-h2), I have W=9.48(h1-h2). I am having problems with the h values, which can be found in the steam tables.
It might be helpful if you could tell us what kind of problems you are having with the steam tables. Also, why are you using the volumetric flow rate in your equation, when your Relevant Equation calls for mass flow rate. Also, from the way that this problem is posed, it seems that you are expected to include the change in the kinetic energy. Are you aware that you are supposed to be using the steady state open system version of the first law of thermodynamics on this problem? If so, please include it in the relavant equations.

1. What is a steam turbine and how does it work?

A steam turbine is a device that converts the thermal energy of pressurized steam into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power a generator and produce electricity. The process starts with high-pressure steam entering the turbine, causing the blades to rotate. The rotation of the blades then turns a shaft connected to a generator, producing electricity.

2. How is power calculated in a steam turbine?

The power generated by a steam turbine is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of steam by the change in enthalpy of the steam as it passes through the turbine. This is known as the power equation: P = m*(h1 - h2), where P is power, m is mass flow rate, and h1 and h2 are the enthalpies of the steam at the inlet and outlet of the turbine, respectively.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a steam turbine?

The efficiency of a steam turbine is affected by several factors, including the design and condition of the turbine, the quality and pressure of the steam, and the amount of friction and losses in the system. Additionally, the type and quality of the turbine's blades can also impact its efficiency.

4. How does steam quality affect power output in a steam turbine?

The quality of steam, which refers to the amount of liquid water present in the steam, can greatly affect the power output of a steam turbine. Higher quality steam (with less water) has a higher enthalpy and can produce more power, while lower quality steam (with more water) has a lower enthalpy and can produce less power.

5. What are some common problems that can arise in a steam turbine system?

Some common problems in a steam turbine system include leaks, corrosion, erosion of blades, and issues with the controlling valves. These problems can lead to decreases in efficiency and power output, and can also cause damage to the turbine if not addressed promptly.