Help: Physics vs Engineering Physics vs EE / ME

In summary, the individual is a high school student trying to decide on a university major. They are torn between pursuing their passion for theoretical/pure physics or an applied science that would lead to working in a cutting edge industry. They are also considering engineering physics as a combination of the two, but have been warned about lack of specialization and job market difficulties. They are interested in EE and ME for an engineering degree, but also find EP to be an appealing course. They are seeking advice due to lack of experience and knowledge about these courses. Additionally, they are cautioned to consider that their current interests may change during their schooling.
CrazyNeutrino
I'm a final year high school student trying to figure out what he wants to study in university. I have decided on an applied math double major with one of the above. My dilemma is between deciding to purse the passion I have for theoretical/ pure physics or an applied science as I would really be interested in actually working in a cutting edge industry and not purely research. Engineering physics seems like a great combination of the two but i have been told that its a bit of everything with no particular specialization which can be problematic in the job market. Others have told me that its pretty much the same as a physics course with some additional practical engineering courses. What are my options if i choose to pursue each of the above? EE and ME interest me the most if i was to do an actual engineering degree but EP sounds like a brilliant course. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated because i really don't have enough experience or knowledge of the courses to make a judgement.

Physics news on Phys.org
CrazyNeutrino said:
My dilemma is between deciding to purse the passion I have for theoretical/ pure physics or an applied science as I would really be interested in actually working in a cutting edge industry and not purely research.

This rings all sort of warning bells for me, because it appears that you clearly have no idea what "theoretical physics" is that you want to do. Maybe you should start by reading this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/i-want-to-do-theoretical-physics.765732/

Secondly, I did an unscientific Career Poll of members of this forum a while back and it confirms my anecdotal observations. There is a very strong chance that what you think you want to do at your stage, will NOT be what you will end up doing by the time you are done with your schooling. Think about that.

Zz.

What is the difference between physics, engineering physics, and electrical/mechanical engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, including matter, energy, and their interactions. Engineering physics is a specialized branch of physics that applies these principles to engineering problems and applications. Electrical and mechanical engineering are both branches of engineering that focus on designing and building devices and systems that use electricity or mechanical power, respectively.

Which field is more theoretical, and which is more applied?

Physics and engineering physics are both more theoretical, as they focus on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the natural world. Electrical and mechanical engineering, on the other hand, are more applied, as they use this knowledge to design and build practical devices and systems.

What kind of job opportunities are available for each field?

Physics and engineering physics graduates often pursue careers in research and development, academia, or government. Electrical and mechanical engineering graduates can find jobs in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, transportation, and energy.

What are the main skills and knowledge required for each field?

Physics and engineering physics require a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Electrical and mechanical engineering also require these skills, but also require knowledge of specific tools and techniques used in their respective fields.

Which field has a higher demand for professionals?

The demand for professionals in each field varies depending on current market trends and the specific industry. However, in general, electrical and mechanical engineering tend to have a higher demand for professionals due to their more practical and applied nature.