Help please -- Is my list okay so far for Condensed Matter? (grad app.)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice for their graduate school applications. They have a 3.5 GPA in physics, a 700 PGRE score, and strong recommendation letters. They have research experience in hep-th and have received encouragement from experts in the field. They are undecided between theory and experiment but prefer hard condensed matter. They are applying to multiple master's programs, including Rutgers, Brown, Ohio State, Boston, and UPenn. They have been advised to also consider lower-ranked schools with good advisors. They have applied to a top 70 school as their first choice but are open to other options if needed.
bluechic92
Hey Everyone,
Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I know that I do not have many "safeties", but that is because I am applying to a bunch of master's programs (not physics /because of research interest)

Physics GPA: 3.5ish ( No grade lower than a B... lots of advanced courses!) Maybe I should have toned it down.
PGRE: 700 (52%)
Type: Domestic

Research Experience: 2 Hep-th projects, no publications. Happy advisors though!
Rec Letters: I believe I will have 2 strong rec letters from research advisors and 1 from a prof ( two classes received As and prof knows me very well). Bonus Not On APP : I have met many experts in the field of my research(hep-th) and all of them have been very encouraging. They believe I would make a great researcher as well as be very successful in graduate school.

On App: Not so great gpa/pgre score. Good SOP so far. I'm working on making it strong and reflecting my research abilities.

I am undecided between theory and experiment, but I prefer "hard condensed matter".

Rutgers??
Brown
Ohio State
Boston
UPenn??

[Three Master's programs]

I have friends who got into Rutgers and Ohio with similar stats. Try a few more schools lower down in the competitiveness scale, the advisers aren't necessarily worse than anywhere else; just make sure there are advisers you want to work with.

Arsenic&Lace said:
I have friends who got into Rutgers and Ohio with similar stats. Try a few more schools lower down in the competitiveness scale, the advisers aren't necessarily worse than anywhere else; just make sure there are advisers you want to work with.
Thank you for the reply! The only reason I don't have schools that are lower down is because I want schools that are strong in multiple areas and these type seem to be higher up ranking wise.* Also, I am applying to master's programs. I know these cost money, but I am applying for engineering. =)

*I applied to a school in the top 70 and it is my first choice! Hopefully I'll make it... if not then even the above list is just not going to work is it? haha

Related to Help please -- Is my list okay so far for Condensed Matter? (grad app.)

1. What is Condensed Matter?

Condensed Matter is a branch of physics that deals with the physical properties of solid and liquid materials at the macroscopic and microscopic scale. It studies the behavior of materials such as metals, semiconductors, and superconductors.

2. What are some common research topics in Condensed Matter?

Some common research topics in Condensed Matter include electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of materials, phase transitions, and the study of new materials with unique properties.

3. How does Condensed Matter relate to other branches of physics?

Condensed Matter intersects with other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, materials science, and nanotechnology.

4. What skills and knowledge are important for a graduate program in Condensed Matter?

A strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computational techniques is essential for a graduate program in Condensed Matter. Familiarity with experimental techniques and data analysis is also beneficial.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in Condensed Matter?

Graduates with a degree in Condensed Matter can pursue careers in academia, research and development, or in industries such as electronics, materials science, and energy. They may also work in government agencies or national laboratories.