HELP Really difficult calculus project

In summary, the student is trying to find an equation for a curved roof structure using a parabola. He doesn't understand what the equation is, but he gets a decent graph. He asks for feedback on the equation.
don1231915
HELP! Really difficult calculus project!

Homework Statement

OK, SO I have a upside down parabola structure with the specifications as follows:
The building has a rectangular base 150m long and 72m wide. The maximum height should not exceed 75% of its width or be less than half the width and the min. height of a room in a public building is 2.5m

The question is:

How do I create the curved roof structure (parabola? or hyperbole? or ellipse?) when the height is 36m??
How do I find the equation of the curve whether it is a parabola? or ½ ellipse? using the data above? Which curve would be the best one to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use a parabola, I came up with an equation y=-0.03x^2+36 but that seems completely wrong as I have no idea how I reached to -0.03. I just used trial and error to get a nice looking curve.

PLS HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand what you are asking here. You say, initially "parabola structure" but then ask whether it is a parabola or ellipse? Are we to assume that the curved top (whether parabola or ellipse) spans the 72 m width or 150 meter length?

Assuming this is a "parabolic cylinder with with the parabola crossing the smaller 72 m width, then we want the height to be between 1/2(72)= 36 m and (3/4)72= 54 m. A parabola that passes through (-36, 0) and (36, 0) and has height h is of the form \(\displaystyle y= h(1296- x^2)/1296\). h can be any number between 36 and 54.

It could be anything, but I decided it to be an ellipse
So,
(x^2/a^2)+(y^2/b^2) = 1 is the equation

and then would a and b be both 36? if I want the height to be 36m??

So, the equation is
x^2+y^2=1296
So when graphing, would the equation be just y= sqrt (1296-x^2)?
That gived a decent graph btw

PLease give me your feedback on this

Also, can you explain me again the equation of the parabola
what is [/math] ,I didnt really understand that whole equation

and yes, the h is between 36 and 54, that's kinda obvious from the question

Thank you so much!

What is the purpose of the calculus project?

The purpose of the calculus project is to apply the principles and techniques of calculus to solve a difficult problem or real-world scenario. This project allows students to demonstrate their understanding of calculus concepts and their ability to apply them to complex problems.

What are the key concepts and techniques needed for this project?

The key concepts and techniques needed for this project will depend on the specific problem or scenario given. However, some common concepts and techniques used in calculus projects include derivatives, integrals, limits, optimization, and related rates.

What resources are available to help with this project?

There are many resources available to help with this project, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, math forums, and even asking for help from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, collaborating with peers and working through the project together can also be a helpful resource.

How much time should be dedicated to completing this project?

The amount of time needed to complete this project will vary depending on the difficulty of the problem and the student's understanding of calculus. It is recommended to start early and dedicate a significant amount of time to ensure a thorough understanding and completion of the project.

What is the best approach to tackling a difficult calculus project?

The best approach to tackling a difficult calculus project is to break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by understanding the problem and identifying the key concepts and techniques needed. Then, work through each part step-by-step and continuously check for accuracy and understanding. Don't be afraid to seek help or collaborate with others if needed.