Help Required for Projectile Motion Equation

In summary: Not sure if this would be helpful, it is a rifle ballistic calculator that has all those parameters. I'm sure you could trick it to calculate for a golf ball. You know all the parameters except the ballistic co-efficient of the ball.
Waqas Ahmad
i was reading a golf simulator forum. i am actually interested in writing a code and make graphs to see how trajectory path looks like.For any given time (t) the distance traveled (x component) is

x(t) = (Vo cosm)t
and the height (y component) at any given time (t) is

y(t) = (Vo sinm)) - (gt²)/2I mentioned the equation above but i can't figure out what is A with cap sign in this equation. Please i desperately need an answer on that. hope some one can take away my curosity on this. as i have to start working on it and make code ready ASAP. any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's not a typeo, i have looked many equations in this format, i'll post the link maybe it will help from where i get it.

here it is

http://www.golf-simulators.com/physics.htm

Can you show another place where the equations have this character?
And have looked the Wikipedia link? Can you see there the equation in the correct format?

From that page that linked to it seems that this A with a hat may be intended to be a superscript format code which showed up in a funny way.
The last term in the equation should be just ## 1/2 gt^2##.
And when they talk about air density, is probably at ##60^o## but it shows again this symbol, between 60 and the superscript "o".

you are right unfortunately i can't show this symbol at any other place also. that's why it's confusing me too that why would they put that symbol there

nasu said:
The last term in the equation should be just 1/2gt2.
You should put parentheses around the 1/2 to keep the rest on top of the equation. I am being picky in view of the context of the question and BODMAS still rules.

sophiecentaur said:
You should put parentheses around the 1/2 to keep the rest on top of the equation. I am being picky in view of the context of the question and BODMAS still rules.
thanks for your reply sir i appreciate that but it still don't explain the A cap sign in the equation

Waqas Ahmad said:
thanks for your reply sir i appreciate that but it still don't explain the A cap sign in the equation
I wouldn't worry about it there must be something wrong with your book - probably bad proof reading. Those two formulae are so common in the literature that you will easily find 'correct' versions with all the symbols explained. Look at the Hyperpyhysics pages on trajectories. The two formulae you quote must be describing the simplest case because the x(t) equation only includes one term.

If you look at the page on golf simulation, you'll see the funny A-cap scattered about the page, sometimes next to an exponent, sometimes next to a degree symbol.
IMO, there's something funny going on with the math formatting on this page. The A-cap can be ignored, but make sure you can read any exponents it might be next to.

sophiecentaur said:
I wouldn't worry about it there must be something wrong with your book - probably bad proof reading. Those two formulae are so common in the literature that you will easily find 'correct' versions with all the symbols explained. Look at the Hyperpyhysics pages on trajectories. The two formulae you quote must be describing the simplest case because the x(t) equation only includes one term.
Thanks a lot. i got it.

SteamKing said:
If you look at the page on golf simulation, you'll see the funny A-cap scattered about the page, sometimes next to an exponent, sometimes next to a degree symbol.
IMO, there's something funny going on with the math formatting on this page. The A-cap can be ignored, but make sure you can read any exponents it might be next to.
if possible would you suggest or recommend another link which will cover all aspects, air resistance, temperature air resistance and other factors involved in golf ball flight

Related to Help Required for Projectile Motion Equation

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. Examples of projectiles include a thrown baseball, a kicked soccer ball, or a launched rocket.

What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, vy0 is the initial vertical velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation applies to the vertical motion of a projectile, while the horizontal motion can be described by x = x0 + vx0t, where x is the horizontal position, x0 is the initial horizontal position, and vx0 is the initial horizontal velocity.

How do you solve for the components of projectile motion?

To solve for the components of projectile motion, you can use the equations y = y0 + vy0t - 1/2gt^2 and x = x0 + vx0t, along with the initial conditions of the object's position and velocity. You can also use kinematic equations, such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the displacement.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and weight of the object can also impact its motion. Other factors such as wind and air density can also play a role in determining the trajectory of a projectile.

How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life applications, such as sports, military operations, and space exploration. For example, understanding projectile motion is essential for athletes to perfect their aim and trajectory in sports like basketball and golf. In the military, projectile motion is used to calculate the trajectory of missiles and bombs. In space exploration, scientists use projectile motion to determine the trajectory of satellites and spacecrafts.