Help Required - Motion and Momentum

In summary, Jake is trying to find an equation to calculate the theoretical displacement for a kick from the goal keeper. He is considering projectile motion, motion, circular motion, and momentum and impulse. He found that projectile motion is the best option because it only requires a tape measure and stop watch.
Bmxican
Hi all, fairly new to this site so I hope I've posted in the right spot and in the right format. Well I'm doing an assignment on the physics involved in sports at the moment and I need a little help with some calculations. I have decided to do a basic representaton of a soccer ball being kicked from the goal keeper and I am trying to find out the best angle. Now I have found out all the practical values by using a device that simulates a soccer kick. It is simplly like an A-Frame with a pendulum/arm swinging around a single pivot point which pivots around to kick a soccer ball (actually a golf ball for these tests.)

Homework Statement

Now my probelm is that we need to calculate some theoretical displacements and maybe velocity too, and I can't think of the right equations to use. So what are some possible equations that I could use to calculate the theoretical values?

Homework Equations

Well, I'm thinking something along the lines of projectile motion, motion, circular motion, momentum and impulse. Any of those seem logical?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, nothing really yet, only the thought of possible equations.

Please don't bombard me with extremely complex equaitons or formulas unless you want to explain in depth as I'm only in Grade 11 at school.

Thanks Jake :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Circular motion --- not relevant
how would you calculate impulse accurately, you are talking about a fraction of a second contact time and i can't see how you could get that value without some slow motion cameras or something
projectile motion is by far your best bet all you will need is a tape measure and stop watch to be able to make a good model.

Ok thanks for that pat666. Really appreciated !

Related to Help Required - Motion and Momentum

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time. It can be described in terms of distance, speed, direction, and acceleration.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its velocity.

What factors affect motion?

The factors that affect motion include force, mass, and friction. The type and strength of force applied to an object, as well as the object's mass and the amount of friction present, can all impact its motion.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects within the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

How can motion and momentum be applied in real-world situations?

Motion and momentum have many practical applications, such as in transportation (e.g. cars, planes, trains), sports (e.g. running, throwing, kicking), and engineering (e.g. designing roller coasters, calculating impact forces). Understanding these concepts can also help in predicting and preventing accidents or collisions.