Projectile Motion Experimental Error

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment concerning projectile motion and the resulting vertical acceleration of -12 m/s^2, which was higher than the expected -9.80 m/s^2. The individual did everything correctly and their graphs were accurate, but they are unsure of potential sources of error. They speculate that air resistance and the weight of the ball may have played a role. Additionally, there is discussion about the method of measurement and a request for machine-readable data.
ELLE_AW

Homework Statement

I got an experimental vertical acceleration of -12 m/s^2 of projectile motion for an experiment I did at home where I just had to throw a ball at around 45 degree to the horizontal up in the air and record it's motion, then analyze the motion via computer software. Obviously the acceleration I was supposed to get was -9.80m/s^2. I did everything right and all my numbers make sense otherwise, and all my graphs look the way they're supposed to (x vs t graph looks linear) and (y vs t graph looks parabolic). What were some potential sources of error that I may have over-looked?

Homework Equations

acceleration due to gravity = -9.80 m/s^2
projectile motion (neglecting air resistance), should have constant horizontal velocity and it's vertical velocity should have a constant acceleration of -9.80 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking air resistance and the weight of the ball, but not sure if that makes sense in terms of giving me a larger acceleration than expected.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is taking the measurements? Do you have a way to calibrate it?
Can you post your y, t data in a machine-readable form (i.e. not as a mere image)?

1. What is projectile motion experimental error?

Projectile motion experimental error refers to the discrepancy between the expected and actual results of a projectile motion experiment. It can occur due to various factors such as human error, equipment limitations, and external forces.

2. How can experimental error affect the results of a projectile motion experiment?

Experimental error can greatly impact the accuracy and precision of the results in a projectile motion experiment. It can lead to incorrect calculations, inaccurate measurements, and ultimately affect the overall validity of the experiment.

3. What are some common sources of experimental error in projectile motion experiments?

Some common sources of experimental error in projectile motion experiments include air resistance, friction, imperfections in the equipment, and human error in measuring and recording data.

4. How can one minimize experimental error in projectile motion experiments?

To minimize experimental error in projectile motion experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, use precise and calibrated equipment, conduct multiple trials, and eliminate any potential sources of error. It is also important to accurately record and analyze data to identify any outliers or inconsistencies.

5. Can experimental error ever be completely eliminated in projectile motion experiments?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate experimental error in any scientific experiment. However, by following proper experimental techniques and minimizing potential sources of error, the impact of experimental error can be reduced and the results can be made more accurate and reliable.