Help Taking the Limit as K goes to infinity

In summary: K+14K+1 is essentially K^2. So what do you add to K^2 to get K^2? You are looking for the constant term in the perfect square. Once you have that you have a limit of the form √(constant) which is a number. Or if you prefer a limit of the form (constant)^(1/2) which is also a number.I'm not sure what the epsilon is supposed to represent. But the constant part of the quadratic is 1.In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the limit as K goes to infinity of s_1,2 (K). The homework statement is to evaluate this limit, and the homework
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limit as K goes to infinity of s_1,2 (K)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-11-27_20-20-33.png

Apparently my value for plus the square root is incorrect, apparently the correct answer is 1.

Apparently my value for minus the square root is correct, it's negative infinity.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I see when I take plus the stuff in the square root.

-5/2 - infinity + infinity = - 5/2

Apparently this is wrong.

I used MATLAB and got plus 1.

upload_2018-11-27_20-23-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_20-20-33.png
    upload_2018-11-27_20-20-33.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 726
  • upload_2018-11-27_20-23-5.png
    upload_2018-11-27_20-23-5.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that you have a situation where l'Hopital's Rule might come to your rescue. You have a situation where you're taking the difference between two infinities. Try to cast it into the form of a quotient of infinities and apply l'Hopital.

Hint: For the moment ignore the part that is the simple constant -5/2 and examine the rest. Divide numerator and denominator by K to form your f(x) and g(x) for l'Hopital. Yes, derivatives involving square roots are annoying, but what can you do? :smile:

Likes Delta2
I thought L'Hopital's Rule was for

0/0, or infinity/infinity

by L'Hopital's Rule, I take the derivative of numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator

But I can apply L'Hopital's Rule in this case as well where I don't have the form 0/0, infinity/infinity?

##-\infty+\infty ## does not equal zero, it is undefined. You must treat the expression differently in this case.
Try to write

$$-K+\sqrt{K^2+14K+1}=Kf(K)$$,

that is to factor out K from the whole expression and see what is ##f(K)##. It will be ##\lim_{K\rightarrow +\infty}f(K)=0## so again you will have an undefined form of ##+\infty\cdot 0## and you ll have to use L'Hopital rule .

YoshiMoshi said:
I thought L'Hopital's Rule was for

0/0, or infinity/infinity

by L'Hopital's Rule, I take the derivative of numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator

But I can apply L'Hopital's Rule in this case as well where I don't have the form 0/0, infinity/infinity?
Yes, if you cast the 'difficult' part of the equation into the form f(x)/g(x) and both f(x) and g(x) tend to 0 or infinity.

Thanks for the help. Following the guidance I got to this point

upload_2018-11-27_22-49-7.png

Seems that I would get infinity/infinity when taking the limit because of this term, so I need to apply the L Hospital's rule again?
upload_2018-11-27_22-50-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-27_22-49-7.png
    upload_2018-11-27_22-49-7.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 421
  • upload_2018-11-27_22-50-49.png
    upload_2018-11-27_22-50-49.png
    779 bytes · Views: 344
No , the limit of that term is simply 1. (factor out K from both numerator and denominator).
But two things :

1) You should keep the 5/2, its not part of the L Hopital rule, so you don't take the derivative of it to make it zero...
2) You have at some point ##\frac{5}{2}+\frac{-1+\frac{\sqrt{K^2+14K+1}}{K}}{\frac{2}{K}}##. Try to first simplify the term ##\frac{\sqrt{K^2+14K+1}}{K}## and then apply L'Hopital rule.

Also the "-" case is covered , we know that the limit is ##-\infty##, we are interested for the "+" case here.

@YoshiMoshi, some of your work in post #1 is just plain wrong -- for instance where you wrote ##\frac \infty 2## and ##\sqrt{\infty^2 + 14\infty + 1}##. You cannot use ##\infty## in any arithmetic expression as you did there.
@Delta2, L'Hopital's Rule is not needed here.

In the original problem, one of the two equations is ##s_2(k) = -\frac 5 2 + \frac 1 2(-k + \sqrt{k^2 + 14k + 1})##. The other limit is straightforward, so I'm not considering it here.

To make life simpler, work with ##\lim_{k \to \infty}(-k + \sqrt{k^2 + 14k + 1})##. You can evaluate this limit by multplying by 1, in the form of ##-k - \sqrt{k^2 + 14k + 1}## over itself. When you do this, it's just a matter of algebraic manipulation.

After you get a limit for this expression, multiiply that result by 1/2 and then add -5/2. I get the same value you got from matlab.

@Mark44 You are right it can be done easier without L'Hopital. I worked it out anyway with one application of L'Hopital and found it equal to ##-5/2+14/4=1##.

YoshiMoshi said:
Apparently this is wrong.
Hi Yoshi:

I think a simpler approach would be to factor the square root into the following form:
√(k2 +14k+1) = k√(1+...).

Hope that helps.

BTW: Sorry - I am now correcting an careless error. The correct result is 1.
You will need to find an approximate square root of (1+...)

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
You will need to find an approximate square root of (1+...)
Since we're taking the limit as ##k \to \infty##, we don't need to approximate the square root.

Mark44 said:
Since we're taking the limit as k→∞k \to \infty, we don't need to approximate the square root.
Hi Mark:

I guess I was not clear about "approximation".
√(k2 +14k+1) = k√(1+ 14/k + 1/k2)
= k (1+7/k + (1/2)/k2 + O(1/k3)) = k + 7 + 1/2k + O(1/k2)) .​
The 1/2k term can be ignored since it goes to 0 as k goes to infinity.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Mark:

I guess I was not clear about "approximation".
√(k2 +14k+1) = k√(1+ 14/k + 1/k2)
= k (1+7/k + (1/2)/k2 + O(1/k3)) = k + 7 + 1/2k + O(1/k2)) .​
The 1/2k term can be ignored since it goes to 0 as k goes to infinity.
My only objection to doing things this way, with a truncated binomial series, is that the OP might not have been exposed to series yet. To my way of thinking, it's much simpler to write ##\sqrt{k^2 + 14k + 1}## as ##k\sqrt{1 + \frac {14} k + \frac 1 {k^2}}##.
Evaluating this limit, together with the rest of the original problem, is pretty straightforward.

Mark44 said:
the OP might not have been exposed to series yet.
Hi Mark:

You may well be correct about what the OP has previously been exposed to. My thought was that he might have been exposed to the process of calculating an approximate value of of √(1+ε) since he is able to take derivatives. I have no idea how math is taught currently, but some while ago calculus would come after dealing with infinitesimals.

Regards,
Buzz

This is two questions because of the ± .
I think the - case is obvious and not very interesting.

For the + case I think what they are looking for is: express the quadratic under the square root as the sum of a perfect square plus a constant (which may be positive or negative). As K "goes to infinity" or "becomes as large as we please" it will approximate ever closer to the square root of the perfect square - that is to the thing it is the square of. (You can easily convince yourself of this assertion with some numerical examples if you have a calculator or computer that can do square root use the biggest numbers it can handle, e.g. K equals 1 million and 100 million. You need also to justify it more than that). I got the answer 1 very easily by the method outlined.

When I see problems like this I doubt that they come out of the blue. I would bet that if you look back in your textbook you will find worked examples of something similar.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to take the limit as K goes to infinity?

Taking the limit as K goes to infinity means to evaluate the behavior of a mathematical expression as the variable K approaches an infinitely large value. In other words, we are interested in understanding how the expression changes as the value of K gets larger and larger.

2. Why is taking the limit as K goes to infinity important?

Taking the limit as K goes to infinity allows us to understand the behavior of a mathematical expression in the long run. It helps us determine if the expression will approach a certain value or if it will continue to increase or decrease without bound.

3. How do you take the limit as K goes to infinity?

To take the limit as K goes to infinity, we first substitute infinity for the variable K in the expression. Then, we simplify the resulting expression to determine the behavior of the original expression as K approaches infinity.

4. What happens when the limit as K goes to infinity does not exist?

If the limit as K goes to infinity does not exist, it means that the expression does not approach a specific value as K gets larger. This could be due to oscillation or divergence of the expression.

5. Can the limit as K goes to infinity be taken for any mathematical expression?

In most cases, yes, the limit as K goes to infinity can be taken for any mathematical expression. However, there are some cases where the limit may not exist or may be undefined. It is important to carefully consider the properties and behavior of the expression before attempting to take the limit as K goes to infinity.