Help, they are eating all my bacteria

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's experience observing microscopic life in a jar from their backyard mulch pile using a surplus microscope. They also shared their difficulty in taking a photo with the microscope due to lack of an adapter and the challenges of using a camera on a tripod. The speaker mentioned their plans to improve their photography setup and capture better photos of the creatures. Another sample jar was also mentioned, indicating continued interest in observing microscopic life.
DarioC
A while back we were discussing the microscopic life that I had grown in a jar from a sample from my backyard mulch pile. I was enjoying using a nice surplus Nikon microscope from UC Davis, CA to check out all the different creatures that were coming to life in the material in a jar with some clean water.

Someone asked me if I could take a photo and I couldn't because I didn't have an adequate camera. Just recently having bought a nice new Nikon D3100 I wanted to try it with the microscope but the least expensive adapter I could find was $95. Hesitation on that one.

So I just put the camera on a pretty nice tripod that I have from my old film shooting days and lined it up with the microscope eyepiece as well as possible.

If I can get the attachment function to work for me here is the result.

Attachments

• Elaphonema crop 006.jpg
    Elaphonema crop 006.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 548
Likes 1 person
Biology news on Phys.org
Great picture!

Thanks. Everything was up in the air (literally in this case) on that shot. I've been doing photography for 60 years and that was probably the most difficult photo I have ever taken. Too many variables, several changing at the same time. Some concern of damaging either the camera or the scope was involved too.

Proved it could be done that way, but next time it will be with an adapter.

I'm sure I can get better lighting, color, and contrast with some cross lighting and a better setup. Those little guys do not like to hold still very long; no wonder the photos online are not very good.

Real challenge would be to get a stopped action shot of the little "sweepers" on their head that they use for sucking in food. I think we may be talking of getting a flash to work thru the condenser to provide enough light at a high shutter speed.

Meantime a second bunch of those little dudes are taking over my other sample jar. Chuckle.

DC

That's so nice. It's nice to know that something you have tried is very amusing and yeah experiments starts there. You get to know so many things when results started to become visible.

It sounds like you have a fascinating collection of microorganisms in your backyard mulch pile! It's always exciting to observe the diversity of life in our own environments. As for your problem with the bacteria being eaten, it's important to remember that in nature, there is always a balance between different organisms. Some bacteria may be consumed by other organisms, but this can actually be beneficial for the ecosystem as a whole. It's also possible that the bacteria were simply going through a natural life cycle and were not necessarily being eaten by other organisms. As for your camera and microscope setup, it's great that you found a way to capture images without the expensive adapter. Keep exploring and documenting the microorganisms in your backyard, it's a great way to learn more about the world around us.

1. Why is it a problem if my bacteria are being eaten?

Bacteria play important roles in various ecosystems and are crucial for maintaining balance in the environment. They help with nutrient cycling, decomposition, and even provide benefits for human health. Therefore, if they are being eaten, it can disrupt these processes and have negative impacts on the surrounding environment.

2. What organisms are eating my bacteria?

There are a variety of organisms that can consume bacteria, including other microorganisms, insects, and larger animals. Some common predators of bacteria include amoebas, nematodes, and protozoa. It is important to identify the specific organisms that are eating your bacteria in order to determine the best course of action.

3. How can I protect my bacteria from being eaten?

There are a few ways to protect your bacteria from being eaten. One option is to use chemicals or pesticides to kill off the predators. However, this can also harm beneficial bacteria and may have negative consequences for the environment. Another option is to create a barrier, such as a physical barrier or a chemical deterrent, to prevent the predators from reaching the bacteria.

4. Can I replace the bacteria that have been eaten?

Yes, it is possible to replace the bacteria that have been eaten. However, it may not be a simple process and may require specific knowledge and equipment. In some cases, it may be more effective to introduce new bacteria into the ecosystem rather than trying to replace the ones that have been eaten.

5. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Prevention is key when it comes to protecting your bacteria from being eaten. It is important to maintain a healthy and balanced ecosystem, as well as regularly monitoring for any signs of bacterial predation. Additionally, implementing sustainable practices and reducing the use of harmful chemicals can help to maintain a healthy environment for your bacteria to thrive in.