Help understanding a set and its distribution

In summary, a set is a collection of distinct elements or objects, denoted by curly braces {} and separated by commas. It is different from a list in that it does not allow for duplicate elements and is unordered. A finite set has a limited number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number. The distribution of a set is determined by the frequency of its elements and can be visualized using statistical measures and graphs. Understanding the distribution of a set can provide insights and aid in decision-making in various fields.
whitejac

Homework Statement

given set C = {(x,y)|x,y are integers, x^2 + |y| <= 2}

Suppose they are uniformly distributed and we pick a point completely at random, thus p(x,y)= 1/11

Homework Equations

Listing it all out,
R(X) = {-1,-2,0,1,2} = R(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that when I list those out, I get a probability of 1/13, not 1/11...
(0,0)
(0,1)
(0,-1)
0,-2)
(0,2)
(1,0)
(-1,0)
(1,1)
(1,-1)
(-1,1)
(-1,-1)
(2,0)
(-2,0)

Maybe it's late and I'm making a mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(2,0) and (-2,0) do not satisfy the inequality

There it is, wow. Thank you. I was clearly tired

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct elements or objects. These elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets. Sets are often denoted by curly braces {} and each element is separated by a comma.

2. How is a set different from a list?

A set is different from a list in that it does not allow for duplicate elements. This means that each element in a set is unique. In contrast, a list can have multiple occurrences of the same element. Additionally, sets are unordered, meaning that the elements do not have a specific position or index.

3. What is the difference between a finite and an infinite set?

A finite set is a set that has a limited number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number of elements. For example, the set of even numbers is an infinite set, while the set {1, 2, 3} is a finite set.

4. How is the distribution of a set determined?

The distribution of a set is determined by the frequency of the elements within the set. This can be visualized using various statistical measures such as mean, median, and mode. The distribution can also be represented graphically using histograms, box plots, or pie charts.

5. How can understanding the distribution of a set be helpful?

Understanding the distribution of a set can provide valuable insights about the data. It can help identify patterns, outliers, and relationships between elements in the set. This information can then be used to make informed decisions and predictions in various fields such as science, economics, and social sciences.