Help w/ Humminbird Marine GPS unit

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a GPS device on a boat that is showing the wrong orientation. The user has tried various methods to correct it but it only seems to work when the boat is in motion. The conclusion is that the GPS device determines orientation based on movement, and if there is no movement, there is no orientation. The user also mentions a potential issue with reversing the boat while using the device.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Anyone here into sailing or boating?

I haven't left my mooring yet, been testing it at anchor but my new Humminbird 383 insists I'm pointing NE when I'm actually pointing SW.

It changes its mind every so often, occasionally it's correct, but seems to return to this position. I've left it for a half hour or more. I've tried hand-holding it and turning it, doesn't seem to register the rotation.

Am I missing something? Is there a configuration I need to go through? (For a while, I wondered if there was a flip northern/southern hemisphere setting or somesuch)I haven't left my mooring yet, been testing it at anchor but my new Humminbird 383 insists I'm pointing NE when I'm actually pointing SW.

It changes its mind every so often, occasionally it's correct, but seems to return to this position. I've left it for a half hour or more. I've tried hand-holding it and turning it, doesn't seem to register the rotation.

Am I missing something? Is there a configuration I need to go through? (For a while, I wondered if there was a flip northern/southern hemisphere setting or somesuch) Does it need a milk-run to get its bearings? (Years go, my car compass wanted me to drive in circles until it locked on North.)

I've checked the GPS satellite display; it seems to be receiving several. There's nothing in the manual.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Never mind. Mystery solved.

As soon as we started moving, it immediately knew which way we were pointed. And, the moment we stopped again, it lost track of our orientation.

Conclusion: A GPS device does not determine one's orientation by determining the orientation of the device itself; it determines one's orientation by determining one's movement and then assuming one's orientation is pointed in the direction of movement.

i.e. if you're not moving, you have no orientation.
Also, if you are under power decide to throw it into reverse, presumably the unit will show your orientation as rearward.

I understand your frustration with your new Humminbird GPS unit. It is possible that there may be a configuration or calibration issue that is causing the incorrect readings. I would suggest checking the user manual for any specific instructions on how to calibrate the unit or adjust any settings that may be affecting its accuracy. Additionally, you may want to contact the manufacturer for further assistance or troubleshooting tips. It may also be helpful to reach out to other sailors or boaters who have experience with this particular unit to see if they have encountered similar issues and how they resolved them. Best of luck with your new GPS unit and happy sailing!

1. How do I install my Humminbird Marine GPS unit on my boat?

To install your Humminbird Marine GPS unit, first make sure you have all necessary parts and tools. Then, follow the instructions provided by Humminbird, which typically involve attaching the unit to a mounting bracket and securing it to your boat with screws. You may also need to connect the unit to a power source and any external transducers.

2. How do I turn on my Humminbird Marine GPS unit?

To turn on your Humminbird Marine GPS unit, locate the power button on the unit. Press and hold the button until the unit powers on. You may also need to connect the unit to a power source if it is not already connected.

3. How do I update the maps on my Humminbird Marine GPS unit?

To update the maps on your Humminbird Marine GPS unit, you will need to connect the unit to a computer with internet access. Then, visit the Humminbird website and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the latest map updates for your specific unit.

4. How do I use my Humminbird Marine GPS unit to navigate?

To use your Humminbird Marine GPS unit for navigation, first make sure it is properly installed and turned on. Then, use the menu or navigation buttons on the unit to access the desired navigation features, such as viewing your current location, setting waypoints, and creating routes. Refer to the user manual for specific instructions on using the navigation features.

5. How do I troubleshoot issues with my Humminbird Marine GPS unit?

If you are experiencing issues with your Humminbird Marine GPS unit, first make sure it is properly installed and turned on. Check all connections and ensure the power source is working. If the issue persists, consult the user manual or contact Humminbird customer support for further assistance.