Help with 2nd Order Ricci: Indexes in GR

In summary, the problem is that the indices do not match and the symmetry of the solution is not explicitly stated.
GrimGuy
In my studies trying to get the Ricci tensor of 2° order i stuck in this expression:
##h_{\mu}^{\ \sigma},_{\lambda}h_{\sigma}^{\ \lambda},_{\nu}=h_{\mu \lambda},^{\sigma}h_{\sigma}^{\ \lambda},_{\nu}##

So, to complete my calculations those quantities should be the same, but i don't understand what happens that make them equal. I don't know how to work with lowering an upering index to modify it.

Attachments

• 1617138136858.png
    1617138136858.png
    691 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. I've modified your LaTeX to fix the index placement - is this correct?$$h_{\mu}{}^{\sigma}{}_{,\lambda}
h_{\sigma}{}^{\lambda}{}_{,\nu}
=h_{\mu \lambda,}{}^{\sigma}
h_{\sigma}{}^{\lambda}{}_{,\nu}$$
(Edit: corrected above following correction of OP - see below). What's ##h## here? Is it a small deviation of the metric from flat? I.e. ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}##?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
On a second look, your free indices don't match. The left hand side has ##\mu## and ##\sigma## free and the right hand side has ##\mu## and ##\nu##. Have you made a transcription error? If not, your problems run deep. (Edit: now corrected.)

Last edited:
Ibix said:
Welcome to PF. I've modified your LaTeX to fix the index placement - is this correct?$$h_{\mu}{}^{\nu}{}_{,\lambda}
h_{\sigma}{}^{\lambda}{}_{,\nu}
=h_{\mu \lambda,}{}^{\sigma}
h_{\sigma}{}^{\lambda}{}_{,\nu}$$
What's ##h## here? Is it a small deviation of the metric from flat? I.e. ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}##?

Ohhh, i realize i made a mistake (the first up ##\mu## is actually ##\sigma##), I edit myself to correct it.
Yes the ##h## is the small deviation of the flat space.

Ibix said:
On a second look, your free indices don't match. The left hand side has ##\mu## and ##\sigma## free and the right hand side has ##\mu## and ##\nu##. Have you made a transcription error? If not, your problems run deep.

A little transcription mistake, now it's in the correct form.

Right. Do you not just regard anything proportional to ##h## as small and anything proportional to ##(h)^2## as negligible? Or does the "second order" in your title mean you are keeping ##(h)^2## and neglecting ##(h)^3##?

Ibix said:
Right. Do you not just regard anything proportional to ##h## as small and anything proportional to ##(h)^2## as negligible? Or does the "second order" in your title mean you are keeping ##(h)^2## and neglecting ##(h)^3##?

Yeah, I'm keeping the ##(h)^2## and neglecting ##(h)^3##.

I'd suggest swapping the up/down ##\sigma##s so that your first ##h## is all lower on both sides, note that the second ##h## is the same on both sides, then think about what you sum over and see if any of the terms cancel. Write the summation out explicitly if you don't see it. 😁

@GrimGuy did you just want to show they're equal? If so, using ##\eta_{ab}## and ##\eta^{ab}## to raise and lower indices, you have$$
\begin{align*}

(\partial_{\lambda} {h_{\mu}}^{\sigma}) (\partial_{\nu} {h_{\sigma}}^{\lambda}) & = \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta_{\lambda \beta} (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha})(\partial_{\nu} {h_{\sigma}}^{\lambda}) \\

&= (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha}) (\partial_{\nu} {h^{\alpha}}_{\beta}) \\

&= (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha}) (\partial_{\nu} {h_{\beta}}^{\alpha})\end{align*}
$$where we used the symmetry in ##h_{ab} = g_{ab} - \eta_{ab}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ibix
etotheipi said:
@GrimGuy did u just want to show they're equal? if so, using ##\eta_{ab}## and ##\eta^{ab}## to raise and lower indices, u have$$
\begin{align*}

(\partial_{\lambda} {h_{\mu}}^{\sigma}) (\partial_{\nu} {h_{\sigma}}^{\lambda}) & = \eta^{\sigma \alpha} \eta_{\lambda \beta} (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha})(\partial_{\nu} {h_{\sigma}}^{\lambda}) \\

&= (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha}) (\partial_{\nu} {h^{\alpha}}_{\beta}) \\

&= (\partial^{\beta} h_{\mu \alpha}) (\partial_{\nu} {h_{\beta}}^{\alpha})\end{align*}
$$where we used the symmetry in ##h_{ab} = g_{ab} - \eta_{ab}##

Nice approach, understood perfectly, except for the symmetry identity. I know it is symmetrical ##h##, but i can't put it in the calculus.
How can i explicitly the symmetry property in this solution.

Ibix said:
I'd suggest swapping the up/down ##\sigma##s so that your first ##h## is all lower on both sides, note that the second ##h## is the same on both sides, then think about what you sum over and see if any of the terms cancel. Write the summation out explicitly if you don't see it. 😁

it worked, but it was hard work

GrimGuy said:
Nice approach, understood perfectly, except for the symmetry identity. I know it is symmetrical ##h##, but i can't put it in the calculus.
How can i explicitly the symmetry property in this solution.

Come again; are you asking why ##h_{ab}## is symmetric? the difference between two symmetric tensors is symmetric, i.e. ##C_{ab} = A_{ab} - B_{ab} = A_{ba} - B_{ba} = C_{ba}##.

etotheipi said:
come again - are you asking why ##h_{ab}## is symmetric? the difference between two symmetric tensors is symmetric, i.e. ##C_{ab} = A_{ab} - B_{ab} = A_{ba} - B_{ba} = C_{ba}##

Yes, i 'm not sure how to explicit the symmetric property in that solution. Maybe i lack of information.

##g## and ##\eta## are both symmetric, by the definition of a metric.

Likes GrimGuy

1. What is a 2nd Order Ricci Index in GR?

A 2nd Order Ricci Index, also known as the Ricci tensor, is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity (GR). It is a symmetric tensor that describes the curvature of spacetime in a specific location. In other words, it tells us how spacetime is curved due to the presence of matter and energy.

2. How is the 2nd Order Ricci Index calculated?

The 2nd Order Ricci Index is calculated by taking the second derivative of the metric tensor, which describes the distance between two points in spacetime. This calculation involves complex mathematical equations and requires a strong understanding of differential geometry.

3. What is the significance of the 2nd Order Ricci Index in GR?

The 2nd Order Ricci Index is a crucial component in the theory of general relativity. It is used to calculate the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. These equations are essential for understanding the behavior of gravity and predicting the motion of objects in the universe.

4. Can the 2nd Order Ricci Index be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the 2nd Order Ricci Index has many practical applications in the field of astrophysics and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of black holes, the expansion of the universe, and the formation of galaxies. It also helps us understand the effects of gravity on objects in space, such as the trajectory of spacecraft and the motion of planets.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the 2nd Order Ricci Index in GR?

While the 2nd Order Ricci Index is a powerful tool in the theory of general relativity, it has its limitations. It is only applicable in the framework of GR and cannot be used to describe the behavior of objects on a quantum scale. Additionally, the calculations involving the 2nd Order Ricci Index can be very complex and require advanced mathematical techniques, making it challenging to apply in certain situations.