Help with a Physics/Calculus Problem - 40 yard dash

• Thread starter dcebb2001
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity and acceleration of an athlete running a 40 yard dash using a polynomial curve and determining the athlete's maximum velocity and acceleration, as well as their stamina. The use of calculus and excel is suggested to calculate the first and second derivatives of the equation to locate the points of maximum velocity and acceleration.
dcebb2001
Help with a Physics/Calculus Problem -- 40 yard dash

I have a physics problem that I just cannot solve.

I am trying to determine the velocity and acceleration for an athlete who is running a 40 yard dash.

What I know are the distances and split times for each player.

For example, a certain Player A may run a 40 yard dash with the following split times:

Distance / Time

0 yards / 0 seconds
10 yards / 1.78 seconds
20 yards / 2.92 seconds
40 yards / 5.13 seconds

Now I know I can graph the distance vs. time and use a cubic function with an order of 3 to get a really nice smooth line which allows me to "predict" or forecast what the time would be for this player at a certain distance or vice versus.

I also know that this polynomial curve gives me an equation of:

f(x) = 7.7083333E-05*x^3-0.0055125*x^2+0.22541667*x-4.5536491E-18

The R-Squared value of course is 1.

Now, I want to be able to use this distance v. time graph to determine the VELOCITY for this run along this nice smooth polynomial line. I know that I can take the average of the distances between the splits to get velocity, but I want to be more precise than that. The reason being is that I want to determine the velocity for Player A at 45 yards. In other words I want to FORECAST what his velocity would be at a distance of 45 yards if it was given that the player kept running.

I also want to be able to determine what the player's maximum velocity was during the run.

Next, I want to determine the ACCELERATION level during the course of the run. Most players will show the largest amount of acceleration during the first 10-20 yards. I want to know when that occurs given the nice polynomial fit I have.

Finally, I want to determine how fast the player falls off after attaining his top velocity. This would measure the player's stamina. In other words, the longer you stay at top speed, the more stamina you have. The faster you drop off and begin to decelerate, the less stamina you have. We can use the velocity and/or acceleration curves derived to figure this out as well.

I would love to be able to find a way to do this for several players in excel. Since I know all of the distances and split times, is this possible? Can I get a smooth line for velocity and acceleration in order to make forecasts using a cubic fit?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you've got your equation fit, then finding velocity and acceleration would just be calculating the first and second derivatives of the equation and evaluating same at given distances from the starting line. The tools of the calculus should enable you to locate the points at which velocity and acceleration are maximum.

Change f(x) to x(t). Then v = dx/dt and a = d2x/dt2, i.e do as steamking suggests.

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a runner during a 40 yard dash?

The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time. In the case of a 40 yard dash, the distance is 40 yards and the time is the time it takes for the runner to complete the dash.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration of a runner during a 40 yard dash?

The formula for acceleration is change in velocity divided by time. In the case of a 40 yard dash, the change in velocity is the final speed minus the initial speed, and the time is the time it takes for the runner to complete the dash.

3. Can I use calculus to solve a 40 yard dash problem?

Yes, calculus can be used to analyze the motion of a runner during a 40 yard dash. Calculus can help determine the runner's speed, acceleration, and other factors that may affect their performance.

4. How does the runner's body position affect their performance during a 40 yard dash?

The runner's body position, such as their posture and arm movements, can affect their performance during a 40 yard dash. A more streamlined body position can reduce air resistance and improve speed, while improper body positioning can hinder performance.

5. What are some common factors that can affect a runner's speed during a 40 yard dash?

Some common factors that can affect a runner's speed during a 40 yard dash include their physical fitness, technique, starting position, and external factors such as weather conditions and surface type. These factors can impact the runner's acceleration, speed, and overall performance during the dash.