Help with a police car distance physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an argument between two cars traveling at 110 km/h, with a separation of 26.0 m. The police car begins braking suddenly and the question asks for the separation between the two cars and the speed of the driver when they hit the police car. The distance between the cars when the driver's attention returns is 14 meters and the police car's speed is 12.40 m/s. The driver's speed when they hit the police car is 26.8 m/s.
wbetting

Homework Statement

You are arguing over a cell phone while trailing an unmarked police car by 26.0 m; both your car and the police car are traveling at 110 km/h. Your argument diverts your attention from the police car for 2.0 s (long enough for you to look at the phone and yell,“I won't do that!”). At the beginning of that 2.0 s, the police officer begins braking suddenly at 6.00 m/s2. (a) What is the separation between the two cars when your attention finally returns? Suppose that you take another 0.400 s to realize your danger and begin braking. (b) If you too brake at 6.00 m/s2, what is your speed (in km/h) when you hit the police car?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

110000m/h = 30.55meters sec

distance between = 26 - 1/2 (6) t^2
at 2 seconds distance = 26 -0.5(6) 2^2
= 14 meters

distance when you begin braking
distance = 26 -0.5(6) 2.4^2
= 9 meters
police car speed when you begin braking
v= 30.55 -6 (2.4)
=16.55m/s
distance during braking
d = 9 - (30.55-16.55)t - 0.5 (6-6)t^2
time to impact
0 = 9- 14t
t= 9/14 sec= .642 sec past the 2.4 seconds

police car speed at 2.4 + .624 sec

v= 30.55 - ( 3.024 )6
v= 12.40 m/s

your speed 30.55 -(.624) 6
= 26.8 m/s

**this is my thought on the problem. I got part a correct with 14 m but I seem to have gone wrong after that and am not sure what I did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i realized all i had to do was convert m/s to km/hr!

1. How do I calculate the distance between a police car and a moving object using physics?

To calculate the distance between a police car and a moving object using physics, you will need to use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. You will also need to know the initial position of the object and the initial position of the police car, as well as any changes in velocity over time.

2. Can I use the same formula for both stationary and moving police cars?

Yes, the same formula can be used for both stationary and moving police cars. The only difference is that for a stationary police car, the initial position of the car will be the same as its final position, while for a moving police car, the initial and final positions will be different.

3. How does the speed of the police car affect the distance calculation?

The speed of the police car directly affects the distance calculation because it is one of the variables in the formula d = vt. The faster the police car is traveling, the larger the distance will be between the car and the object at any given time.

4. What other factors should be considered when solving a police car distance physics problem?

Other factors that should be considered when solving a police car distance physics problem include the acceleration of the police car, any changes in velocity over time, and the direction of travel of both the police car and the moving object. It is also important to use consistent units throughout the calculations.

5. Can physics be used to determine the exact location of a police car at a specific time?

Yes, physics can be used to determine the exact location of a police car at a specific time if all the necessary variables are known and the correct formula is used. However, there may be external factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation, such as wind or friction, so the result may not be 100% accurate.