Help with a vehicle roll problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the roll of a car going around a turn with a bank angle of 24 degrees, a velocity of 160mph, and a track width of 50 inches. The speaker is unsure of where to start with the given data and believes that knowing the radius of the turn is necessary to calculate the centripetal force and solve the problem. However, they do not have the radius and are unsure if the track width is an additional part of it. The professor did not specify what the "track width" refers to.
Pepsi24chevy
I want to calculate the roll of a car going around a turn that is bank 24 degrees at a velocity of 160mph and a track width of 50 inches. TO be honest I am not sure where to start with the data I am given. It would seem to be a simple dynamics problem

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you need to know the radius of the turn to calculate the centripetal force. If you know that, then you can figure everything else out.

I thought something about that, but I don't have a radius. The professor did make up this problem, so maybe he forgot to tell us all the info.

Without the radius, you cannot solve the problem. The "track width" seems to be an additional part of the radius. If the radius is the distance from the center of the course to the inner edge of the track, then the track width multiplied by the cosine of the banking angle will give the extra component of the radius which is required for further calculations.

That, or the professor was not specific in what the "track width" is.

what do you mean by
"I want to calculate the roll of a car"?
is it the net acceleration you want? or all the forces acting on it? or?...

sorry I am not following you.

Related to Help with a vehicle roll problem

1. What causes a vehicle to roll?

There are several factors that can cause a vehicle to roll, including steep inclines, sharp turns, uneven weight distribution, and slick road conditions. In some cases, driver error or mechanical failures can also contribute to a vehicle roll.

2. How can I prevent my vehicle from rolling?

To prevent a vehicle from rolling, it is important to properly maintain your vehicle and ensure that all mechanical components are functioning correctly. Additionally, drivers should always follow safe driving practices, such as reducing speed on sharp turns and avoiding steep inclines when possible.

3. What should I do if my vehicle starts to roll?

If you find yourself in a situation where your vehicle is starting to roll, it is important to remain calm and try to steer the vehicle in the direction of the roll. Avoid slamming on the brakes, as this can cause the vehicle to roll further. If possible, try to steer the vehicle onto a flat, stable surface to prevent further rolling.

4. Can I make modifications to my vehicle to prevent rolling?

While some modifications, such as adding a roll cage, can help prevent serious injuries in the event of a vehicle roll, they are not a guarantee to prevent rolling. It is important to focus on safe driving practices and proper vehicle maintenance to prevent vehicle rolls.

5. Is there a way to recover from a vehicle roll?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover from a vehicle roll. This typically involves quickly counter-steering and applying gentle pressure to the brakes. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and seek professional assistance if needed.