Help with a work problem(spring)

• Thread starter mathnoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the work done in stretching a spring from its natural length to a length of 15 inches. The equation f=kd was used to determine the constant k, and the work equation W=∫(kx)dx was then integrated from 0 to 15 inches to find the work done. It was noted that units should not be converted until after the integral is evaluated. The correct solution was found by using the correct value for k, which was determined to be 48 after converting units.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

A force of 4 lbs is needed to stretch a 10-in. spring 1 inch beyond its natural length.
Find the work done in stretching the same spring from its natural length to a length of 15 inches.

Homework Equations

f=kd
W=∫(kx)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that a force of 4lbs is required to stretch a spring 1inch.
so 4=1K
K=4
I plug K into my work equation and i get
∫(4x)dx
I integrate it and get 2x^2 from 0 to 15/12(converting to feet)
I plug in my limits of integration and I get 3.125ft-lbs

The solution says ~4.167 ft-lbs.

I have no idea where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
15 inches is the total length of the stretched spring. Don't convert units until after you've evaluated the integral.

Doc Al said:
15 inches is the total length of the stretched spring. Don't convert units until after you've evaluated the integral.

Ah, ok. I retried the integral going from 0 to 5
I also noticed one mistake I made. I converted my limits of integration to foot in my integral but when I was solving for K, I didn't convert it.
So it would be 4=k/12
k=48

Doing this did indeed give me the correct answer. Thank you!

What is the best way to approach a work problem?

The best way to approach a work problem is to first gather all the necessary information and understand the root cause of the problem. Then, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate them based on their feasibility and potential impact. Finally, implement the chosen solution and continuously monitor and adjust as needed.

How do I communicate a work problem to my colleagues or superiors?

When communicating a work problem to others, it is important to be clear and concise. Clearly state the issue and its impact on the project or team. Provide any relevant data or evidence to support your claims. Also, be open to feedback and suggestions from others.

What should I do if I am struggling to find a solution to a work problem?

If you are having trouble finding a solution to a work problem, it may be helpful to seek advice from colleagues or supervisors. They may have a different perspective or experience that can offer insights. You can also do additional research or consult with outside experts for guidance.

How can I prevent work problems from occurring in the first place?

To prevent work problems, it is important to have clear communication and expectations within the team. Regularly check in with team members and address any issues or concerns before they escalate. Also, analyze past problems and develop strategies to avoid similar issues in the future.

What can I do if a work problem is affecting my mental health?

If a work problem is causing significant stress or impacting your mental health, it is important to prioritize your well-being. Talk to a trusted colleague or supervisor about the issue and see if there are any accommodations that can be made. Seek support from a therapist or counselor if needed.