Help with Abstract Algebra: Show ac=b, da=b w/Hint

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that there are two elements, c and d, in a group G that can be multiplied with a and b to equal b. The conversation also provides a hint to use the inverse property and cancellation property to find the values of c and d. The individual asking for help has tried using matrices but it did not work. The expert summarizer also provides an explicit definition for c and d in terms of a and b.
patelnjigar
Please I need your help for that qustion and how do slove that qustion's problem. can you help me for slove for that? Pleasee

Let G be any group, and let a, b ∈ G. Show that there are c, d ∈ G such that ac = b and da = b. Hint: you have to give an explicit definition for c and d in terms of a and b.

Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried?

I have tried set up matrices for that but not work. I don't know how to slove for this problem...

Let G be any group, and let a, b ∈ G. Show that there are c, d ∈ G such that ac = b and da = b. Hint: you have to give an explicit definition for c and d in terms of a and b.

Matrices?? All you need is:
(i) if x is in G, then so is its inverse
(ii) if x,y are in G, then so is xy

i m tried work on this..

GIVE a, b ∈ G
SHOW c, d ∈ G ?

ac=b da=b

ac=b ---> proof: a (a^(-1)b)=b (IS THAT RIGHT? I THINK SO AND THAT'S RIGHT)

da=b ---> proof: ?

if i want to say about ac=b

proof: a (a^(-1)b)=b
uniqueness
if ac=ad=b
then c=d (left Cancellation)

How do I slove for da=b?? I need for that..

Same idea: let d = ba^(-1).

Same idea: let d = ba^(-1). ?? I seem that not enough

ac=b
a (a^(-1)b)=b, if ac=ad=b, then c=d (left cancellation).. I m sure that's right.

da=b
d=ba(a^(-1)), if ad=ac=b, then d=c (right cancellation) is that right?

Related to Help with Abstract Algebra: Show ac=b, da=b w/Hint

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures, rather than specific numbers or objects.

2. How do you show that ac=b and da=b?

To show that ac=b and da=b, you can use the commutative property of multiplication. Since multiplication is commutative, ac is equal to ca, and da is equal to ad. Therefore, ac=b and da=b can be rewritten as ca=b and ad=b. Since both equations are equivalent, you can use either one to prove that ac=b and da=b.

3. What is the significance of the hint in the problem?

The hint in the problem suggests using the commutative property of multiplication to prove that ac=b and da=b. This is a helpful hint because it allows you to simplify the problem and use a property that you may already be familiar with.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate this problem?

Sure, let's say a=3, b=6, c=2, and d=4. Plugging these values into the equations ac=b and da=b, we get 3*2=6 and 4*3=6. These equations are both true, so ac=b and da=b are both satisfied.

5. How is abstract algebra used in real life?

Abstract algebra has many applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, engineering, and cryptography. For example, group theory is used in coding theory to design error-correcting codes, and ring theory is used in cryptography to create secure communication systems.