Help with an equation for a blog post please

• Thread starter Evanish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog
In summary, the conversation revolved around figuring out an equation involving EROEI and energy investment for a blog post. The equation in question was determined to be a geometric series, specifically 1/1-(1/x), and it was used to calculate the total area needed for solar energy maintenance. One of the speakers sought help in understanding the equation, while the other provided helpful information and clarified the concept. The conversation concluded with the equation being confirmed and the speaker thanking for the assistance.
Evanish
I don't know any calculus but I'm pretty sure it's what I need to figure out an equation I need for a blog post I'm working on.

Here's the blog post.
http://ratdog-justbecause.blogspot.com/2015/01/low-eroei-and-low-power-density-is.html
I think maybe what I'm looking for is the Σ as n approaches infinity for 1/xn. With n starting out as 0. I don't really know for sure though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evanish said:
I don't know any calculus but I'm pretty sure it's what I need to figure out an equation I need for a blog post I'm working on.

Here's the blog post.
http://ratdog-justbecause.blogspot.com/2015/01/low-eroei-and-low-power-density-is.html
I think maybe what I'm looking for is the Σ as n approaches infinity for 1/xn. With n starting out as 0. I don't really know for sure though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You have a section titled "Now for some math" but all I see are a bunch of numbers that you took out of a spreadsheet, and no indication of what these numbers mean or how you got them.

Mark44 said:
You have a section titled "Now for some math" but all I see are a bunch of numbers that you took out of a spreadsheet, and no indication of what these numbers mean or how you got them.
Sorry, I was a bit sloppy. It just seems so obvious to me.

EROEI describes the energy that is needed to be invested (i.e. used) in order to get more energy. If the EROEI is 2 then one unit (of some unit of energy) invested will get you 2 of that unit. If solar is to become a permanent thing then maintaining any given area of it will take energy. The amount of energy is determined by it's EROEI. Let's say that the EROEI is 2. Then maintaining 1m2 of it would take 1/2m2. That 1/2m2 require 1/4m2 and so on. The sum of all these works out to some finite number. The equation for that number was what I was looking for. For the spread sheet I carried out a number of the operation discussed above on the number 1. I used the number one as a place holder for all areas. I did this to create a number that I could multiply any given area by in order to find out the total area needed.

I recently talked to my brother about this. He told me what I'm looking for is called the Geometric series, and the equation is 1/1-(1/x). Sorry Should have asked him first sense I know he's good at math while I mostly go of instinct. I'm going to go fix my blog post. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Evanish said:
Sorry, I was a bit sloppy. It just seems so obvious to me.

EROEI describes the energy that is needed to be invested (i.e. used) in order to get more energy. If the EROEI is 2 then one unit (of some unit of energy) invested will get you 2 of that unit. If solar is to become a permanent thing then maintaining any given area of it will take energy. The amount of energy is determined by it's EROEI. Let's say that the EROEI is 2. Then maintaining 1m2 of it would take 1/2m2. That 1/2m2 require 1/4m2 and so on. The sum of all these works out to some finite number. The equation for that number was what I was looking for. For the spread sheet I carried out a number of the operation discussed above on the number 1. I used the number one as a place holder for all areas. I did this to create a number that I could multiply any given area by in order to find out the total area needed.

I recently talked to my brother about this. He told me what I'm looking for is called the Geometric series, and the equation is 1/1-(1/x). Sorry Should have asked him first sense I know he's good at math while I mostly go of instinct. I'm going to go fix my blog post. Thanks for your help.
Yes, it's a geometric series.
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2^1} + \frac{1}{2^2} + ... + \frac{1}{2^n} + ... = 2$$

Mark44 said:
Yes, it's a geometric series.
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n} = 1 + \frac{1}{2^1} + \frac{1}{2^2} + ... + \frac{1}{2^n} + ... = 2$$
Thanks!

1. What is an equation and why is it important in a blog post?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between different variables. It is important in a blog post because it can help to explain complex concepts or ideas in a concise and precise manner. It also allows readers to understand and replicate your findings or arguments.

2. How do I create an equation for my blog post?

To create an equation for your blog post, first identify the variables and their relationships. Then, use mathematical symbols and notation to express the relationship between the variables. You can also use online tools or software, such as LaTeX or Microsoft Word, to insert mathematical equations into your blog post.

3. Can I use equations in any type of blog post?

Yes, you can use equations in any type of blog post as long as it is relevant and adds value to your content. However, it is important to consider your audience and explain the equation in a clear and understandable way.

4. How can I make sure my equation is accurate?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to double-check your equation and its variables. You can also consult with colleagues or experts in the field to review your equation and provide feedback. Additionally, referencing reliable sources and conducting thorough research can help to validate your equation.

5. Are there any tips for effectively incorporating equations into a blog post?

Some tips for effectively incorporating equations into a blog post include using clear and concise language, explaining the equation in simple terms, and providing examples or visuals to aid understanding. It is also important to properly format and label your equations for clarity and organization.