Help with another separable equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter jahrens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the given differential equation is $\left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = x^3\,y$ with initial conditions $y=e^2$, $x=1$. The solution for $y$ can be expressed as $y = \mathrm{e}^{\pm \sqrt{ x^4 + 15 }}$. There is no mention of finding a specific value for $y$ in the problem.
jahrens
I am really struggling with this one, if anyone can help. (ln(y))3*(dy/dx)=(x^3)y with initial conditions y=e^2 x=1

I get c=4/(e^4) - 1/4
then I get stuck at (3ln^2y - ln^3y)/(y^2)=(x^4)/4 + C Any ideas? I'm really not good at these so there are probably mistakes, because at this point I have no idea how to isolate y.

Physics news on Phys.org
jahrens said:
I am really struggling with this one, if anyone can help. (ln(y))3*(dy/dx)=(x^3)y with initial conditions y=e^2 x=1

I get c=4/(e^4) - 1/4
then I get stuck at (3ln^2y - ln^3y)/(y^2)=(x^4)/4 + C Any ideas? I'm really not good at these so there are probably mistakes, because at this point I have no idea how to isolate y.

Is the DE $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = x^3\,y \end{align*}$?

Yes!

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= x^3\,y \\ \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{1}{y}\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= x^3 \\ \int{ \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{1}{y}\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} \,\mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ x^3\,\mathrm{d}x} \\ \int{ \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^3\,\frac{1}{y}\,\mathrm{d}y} &= \frac{x^4}{4} + C_1 \\ \int{ u^3\,\mathrm{d}u} &= \frac{x^4}{4} + C_1 \textrm{ where } u = \ln{(y)} \implies \mathrm{d}u = \frac{1}{y}\,\mathrm{d}y \\ \frac{u^4}{4} + C_2 &= \frac{x^4}{4} + C_1 \\ \frac{u^4}{4} &= \frac{x^4}{4} + C_1 - C_2 \\ u^4 &= x^4 + 4\,C_1 - 4\,C_2 \\ \left[ \ln{(y)} \right] ^4 &= x^4 + C \textrm{ where } C = 4\,C_1 - 4\,C_2 \\ \ln{(y)} &= \pm \sqrt[4]{ x^4 + C } \\ y &= \mathrm{e}^{ \pm \sqrt[4]{x^4 + C} } \end{align*}$

Now since when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 1, \, y = \mathrm{e}^2 \end{align*}$ we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{e}^2 &= \mathrm{e}^{ \pm \sqrt[4]{ 1^4 + C } } \\ 2 &= \pm \sqrt[4]{ 1 + C } \\ 16 &= 1 + C \\ C &= 15 \end{align*}$

and thus $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \mathrm{e}^{\pm \sqrt{ x^4 + 15 }} \end{align*}$.

Is there anywhere in the problem that says you are actually required to solve for y?

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated into two different functions that are multiplied together. This allows for the use of integration techniques to solve the equation.

2. How do I know if an equation is separable?

An equation is considered separable if it can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y respectively. If an equation can be manipulated into this form, it is separable.

3. What is the general process for solving a separable equation?

The general process for solving a separable equation involves separating the variables, integrating both sides, and solving for the constant of integration. This will give the solution in the form of y = f(x).

4. Can you provide an example of solving a separable equation?

Yes, for example, the equation dy/dx = 2x + 3y is separable. By separating the variables, we get dy/y = 2x dx. Integrating both sides gives us ln|y| = x^2 + C. Solving for y and substituting in the value of C gives us the solution y = Ce^(x^2).

5. Are there any tips for solving separable equations?

One helpful tip for solving separable equations is to always check for potential initial conditions or boundary conditions, as these may affect the final solution. It is also important to pay attention to the integration constant and how it is used in the final solution.