Help with Area of parametric equations problem

In summary, the problem is asking to find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equations x=t^3-8t and y=2t^2. The solution involves solving for t in one of the equations and using the integral formula \int y(x)dx= \int y(t)\frac{dx}{dt}dt to find the area. The curve is closed and t ranges from -\sqrt{8} to \sqrt{8}.
Mcbrown108

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation
x=t^3-8t
y=2t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not even sure how to start this problem.
I read somewhere that to start with you solve for t in one of the equations.
when i solve for t I end up with really weird equations.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There must be more information, does it say how the region is enclosed? I'm assuming it's with the x axis. Always be sure to include all the information in the question.

That is all that is given to me. I thought I was missing some information as well.

Oh, that's really, really wierd! I was all set to agree with gamesguru but, just to make sure, I graphed it on my TI-83. That is a closed curve with t going from [itex]-\sqrt{8}[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{8}[/itex].

You should be able to find the area by using the fact that
[tex]\int y(x)dx= \int y(t)\frac{dx}{dt}dt[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help with Area of parametric equations problem

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a method of representing mathematical equations using parameters, typically denoted by t or another variable. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe the motion of objects in a coordinate system.

2. How do I find the area of a region defined by parametric equations?

To find the area of a region defined by parametric equations, you can use the formula A = ∫(y(t)x'(t))dt, where x'(t) is the derivative of the x-component and y(t) is the y-component of the parametric equations. This formula is derived from the basic area formula A = bh, where b is the base and h is the height.

3. Can I use the calculator to solve area of parametric equations problems?

Yes, many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for solving parametric equations and finding the area of a region defined by them. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind these calculations to ensure accurate results.

4. What are some common mistakes when calculating the area of a region using parametric equations?

Some common mistakes when calculating the area of a region using parametric equations include forgetting to take the absolute value of the integrand, not properly setting up the integral by using the correct components and limits, and forgetting to multiply by the differential dt. It is important to double check your work and understand the steps involved in the calculation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of parametric equations and finding area of regions?

Yes, parametric equations and finding the area of regions are used in various real-world applications such as designing roller coasters, analyzing projectile motion, and creating computer-generated graphics. They are also helpful in solving optimization problems in engineering and physics.