Help with basical electromagnetics

In summary: The components cos(alpha) az and sin(alpha) ap of the vector ar are simply the projections of ##\mathbf{a}_R## onto the cylindrical components.Can someone please recommend me some material or book to study this subject about orthogonal basis of cylindrical and spherical coordinates?There are many good sources for learning about orthogonal basis of cylindrical and spherical coordinates, including textbooks and online resources such as lectures and tutorials. Some recommended books are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Vector Analysis" by Murray R. Spiegel.
Nordcus
Hey guys, can someone please help me with this? In the case of the line charge (pictures 1 and 2), can someone please explain to me how he converted the vector R from cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates without doing any calculation?

Also, on the case of the sphere (pictures 3 and 4), I didn't understand how he got the components cos(alpha) az and sin(alpha) ap of the vector ar.

Can someone please recommend me some material or book to study this subject about orthogonal basis of cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

Sorry for my bad english, and thank you very much.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nordcus said:
can someone please help me with this? In the case of the line charge (pictures 1 and 2), can someone please explain to me how he converted the vector R from cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates without doing any calculation?
The radial vector ##\mathbf{a}_\rho## in the cylindrical coordinate is a unit vector that lies in the z=0 plane. Therefore, any vector which has zero ##z## component can be written as a vector of appropriate magnitude in the direction of ##\mathbf{a}_\rho##. There is also a more formal prove using the formulae for the coordinate change between Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates. It requires more work but is actually easy to show.
Nordcus said:
Also, on the case of the sphere (pictures 3 and 4), I didn't understand how he got the components cos(alpha) az and sin(alpha) ap of the vector ar.
The author wanted to write ##\mathbf{a}_R## in Cylindrical components. Since the line along ##\mathbf{a}_R## connects a general point with a point on the z axis, the ##\mathbf{a}_\phi## component must be zero leaving only ##\mathbf{a}_\rho## and ##\mathbf{a}_z## only.

1. What is electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior and interaction of electric and magnetic fields.

2. Why is understanding electromagnetics important?

Understanding electromagnetics is important because it plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, such as communication, technology, and electricity. It also forms the basis for more advanced fields of science and engineering.

3. What are the basic principles of electromagnetics?

The basic principles of electromagnetics include the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, the concept of electromagnetic induction, and the laws of Gauss, Ampere, and Faraday.

4. How can I apply electromagnetics in real life?

Electromagnetics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, power generation, medical imaging, and transportation. It is also used in the development of everyday devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

5. What are some resources for learning about basic electromagnetics?

Some resources for learning about basic electromagnetics include textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of math and physics concepts to fully grasp the principles of electromagnetics.