Help with buck and boost converter

In summary, Switchers are used to convert AC to DC, and can be used to provide a constant voltage. Switchers can be used to provide a constant voltage when there is a difference in voltage beyond operating condition.
usuki
Hi all,

I'm new to power electronics, and somehow I still could not get the impact of switching frequency on voltage gain, output voltage ripple and inductor current.

Additionally, how is the voltage gain affected when increasing load resistance?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've mostly seen switching converters used as power supplies. While they technically have gain, they are usually specified by voltage output.

As the frequency goes up, it is easier to filter the ripple, though RF noise can couple without careful design. The inductors get smaller as well. I think the current through the inductor is more a function of load than frequency though I could be wrong. Check the data sheet.

Ideally the converter provides a constant voltage. There will of course be some small drop with usage which should go down with less load (i.e. increasing load resistance.) Again, in the data sheet.

The primary change in gain will come with the input voltage since the output voltage is constant. A changing input voltage will affect all the values slightly. Again, it's in the data sheet.

One warning, not all switchers are created equal. I've designed with some high frequency switchers where the data sheets specified impossible to achieve components like large value capacitors on less than 3mm square pads. On the surface higher frequency seems better, but there are limits. I think the sellers often design a chip for a particular application then sell leftovers to all comers. So there are lots of switchers out there that seem to work until you dig into the details. (I'm sure they worked for someone.)

usuki said:
Hi all,

I'm new to power electronics, and somehow I still could not get the impact of switching frequency on voltage gain, output voltage ripple and inductor current.

Additionally, how is the voltage gain affected when increasing load resistance?

Thank you!
If there is a considerably big difference in voltage beyond operating condition, that can not be handled by capacitors and regulators, you need to tweak transformer by means of switches. Here is a wonderful explanation and demo by Patnaik UC, very helpful.

Ronie Bayron said:
If there is a considerably big difference in voltage beyond operating condition, that can not be handled by capacitors and regulators, you need to tweak transformer by means of switches. Here is a wonderful explanation and demo by Patnaik UC, very helpful.

That is a very confusing video, IMO. And I'm not sure that it will be helpful to the OP...

Likes Brandon91man
berkeman said:
That is a very confusing video, IMO. And I'm not sure that it will be helpful to the OP...
Probably. May be this is the appropriate: http://ecee.colorado.edu/copec/book/slides/Ch6slides.pdf

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is a buck converter and how does it work?

A buck converter is a type of DC-DC converter that steps down the input voltage to a lower output voltage. It consists of a switch, an inductor, a diode, and a capacitor. The switch rapidly turns on and off, creating a pulsating current through the inductor. This results in a lower output voltage at the capacitor.

2. What is a boost converter and how does it work?

A boost converter is a type of DC-DC converter that steps up the input voltage to a higher output voltage. It also consists of a switch, an inductor, a diode, and a capacitor. However, the switch and diode are connected in reverse polarity compared to a buck converter. This allows the inductor to store energy and release it to the capacitor, resulting in a higher output voltage.

3. What is the purpose of using a buck-boost converter?

A buck-boost converter combines the functionality of both a buck converter and a boost converter. It can step down or step up the input voltage to provide a desired output voltage. This is useful for applications where the input voltage may vary, but a constant output voltage is needed.

4. How do I choose the right buck-boost converter for my project?

When choosing a buck-boost converter, you should consider the input voltage range, the desired output voltage, the maximum current required, and the efficiency of the converter. You should also ensure that the converter can handle the power requirements of your project and has appropriate protection features.

5. What are some common issues with buck-boost converters?

Some common issues with buck-boost converters include high ripple currents, voltage spikes, and electromagnetic interference (EMI). These issues can be minimized by selecting the right components, properly designing the circuit, and implementing proper filtering and shielding techniques.