Help with Cryptography | Read & Prerequisites

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to study cryptography and their current qualifications in the field. They request recommendations for prerequisite courses and books to prepare for a Master's degree in mathematics. It is mentioned that graduate schools may require specific math courses and the speaker is looking into the Chennai Mathematical Institute as a potential option.
nourmina
Dears,

Hope everything is going fine with all of you;

I hold a Bsc in communications and electronics engineering and a Diploma in Information security;

I want to study cryptography, and I decided to have a Msc in Maths for this reason;

Kindly, if you can recommend what books to read and what prerequisites I must have before applying

Thanks for your cooperation in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Prerequisites are based on what grad school you plan to attend. I'm pretty sure all will require you to have taken the general GRE and most will ask that you have taken the math subject GRE as well.

First, thanks for your reply;

but, I think I wasn't clear;

I just wants to know what mathematics prerequisite shall be requested, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, number theory, this kind of stuff;

and if you or any respective member would recommend some mathematics and cryptography book, it shall be so helpful to me

Certain schools would also be more willing to accommodate (i.e, allow you to catch up on the required courses) than others. I understand that the Open University has such facilities?

The Chennai Mathematical Institute looks like a viable option in that one can apply to their MSc course in spite of an engineering background. The caveat, though, is that one must be able to pass their entrance exam, which I can imagine is quite challenging. (judging by their undergraduate entrance exam)

1. What is cryptography?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques for secure communication in the presence of third parties. It involves creating codes and ciphers to protect sensitive information from being accessed by unauthorized individuals.

2. Why is cryptography important?

Cryptography plays a crucial role in ensuring the security of sensitive information in the digital age. It is used to protect online transactions, personal data, and communication from being intercepted and manipulated by hackers or malicious actors.

3. What are some common cryptographic techniques?

Some common cryptographic techniques include symmetric and asymmetric encryption, hash functions, digital signatures, and key management. These techniques are used to secure data at rest and in transit.

4. Do I need any prerequisites to learn about cryptography?

A basic understanding of mathematics and computer science concepts is helpful when learning cryptography. Knowledge of number theory, algebra, and programming languages can also be beneficial but are not necessarily required.

5. How can cryptography be used in different industries?

Cryptography has various applications in industries such as finance, healthcare, government, and technology. It can be used to secure financial transactions, protect sensitive patient data, ensure the integrity of government communications, and safeguard online systems and networks.