Help with Dipoles Homework: Force, Torque Calculation

• Thread starter cardinal724
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipoles
In summary, the conversation discusses the force and torque exerted on a dipole consisting of charges + and - q separated by distance s, located in the plane bisecting the dipole, by a point charge Q at distance r. The equations for electric field and torque are mentioned, but without numerical values, they cannot be used to find the force and torque. Instead, Coulomb's law is suggested as a better approach.
cardinal724

Homework Statement

A point charge Q is distance r from the center of a dipole consisting of charges + and - q separated by distance s. The charge is located in the plane that bisects the dipole. At this instant, what are (a) the force(magnitude and direction) and (b) the magnitude of the torque on the dipole? You can assume r >>s.

Homework Equations

So I know from my textbook that the electric field of a dipole is (-1/4pi(eo) times (qs/r^3).
The torque I know is also pEsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have these equations but I don't know what to do with them since there were no numerical values given.

So for part a I have F= Eq = (-1/4pi(eo)) times (s*q^s/r^3) and for part b I just have T = pEsin(theta). From here I don't know what to do, there's nothing for me to plug in really..

Physics news on Phys.org

The question is the force and torque exerted on the dipole by the charge Q. There is no use of picking up an equation and plug in values blindly. The force you wrote is wrong.
Also, the formula for the torque refers to the torque in a uniform electric field. The electric field is not uniform in this case.

Go back to good old Coulomb's law.

ehild

Related to Help with Dipoles Homework: Force, Torque Calculation

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or atom that has a separation of positive and negative charges. This separation creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole.

2. How is force calculated for a dipole?

The force on a dipole is calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the magnitude of the charge on the dipole, and E is the electric field strength.

3. What is torque in relation to dipoles?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object. In the context of dipoles, torque is the force that causes a dipole to rotate in an electric field. It is calculated using the equation τ = pEsinθ, where τ is torque, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field.

4. How is the dipole moment calculated?

The dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge on the dipole by the distance between the positive and negative charges. It is represented by the symbol p and is measured in units of Coulomb-meters (Cm).

5. What factors affect the force and torque on a dipole?

The force and torque on a dipole are affected by the magnitude of the charges on the dipole, the distance between the charges, and the strength and direction of the electric field. Additionally, the orientation of the dipole relative to the electric field can also affect the force and torque.