Help with double integral and switching the order of the differentials

In summary, the problem involves solving for the integral of e^-x2 over a domain that forms a triangle with vertices at (0,0), (1,0), and (1,1/2). The attempt at a solution involved graphing the function and trying to find the right function with a vertical strip, but the domain of integration is a triangle. The suggested solution is to write the integral with the given limits and draw corresponding graphs.
xnitexlitex

Homework Statement

1 1/2
∫ ∫ e-x2 dx dy
0 y/2

Homework Equations

***Graph equation***

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the function and they made a horizontal strip. However, I can't seem to find the right function with a vertical strip, which is where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
xnitexlitex said:

Homework Statement

1 1/2
∫ ∫ e-x2 dx dy
0 y/2

Homework Equations

***Graph equation***

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed the function and they made a horizontal strip. However, I can't seem to find the right function with a vertical strip, which is where I'm stuck.

The domain of integration is a triangle. Can you describe it?

Last edited:
It might be easier to see if you write the integral
[tex]\int_{y=0}^{y=1}\int_{x= y/2}^{x= 1/2} e^{-x^2}dx dy[/tex]

Draw the graphs corresponding to the limits of integration.

Related to Help with double integral and switching the order of the differentials

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in the coordinate plane. It is typically used to calculate the area under a surface or the volume within a three-dimensional solid.

2. How do I switch the order of the differentials in a double integral?

To switch the order of the differentials in a double integral, you need to use the concept of Fubini's theorem. This theorem states that if the function being integrated is continuous over the region of integration, then the order of integration can be switched without changing the value of the integral.

3. Why would I want to switch the order of the differentials in a double integral?

Switching the order of the differentials can make the process of evaluating a double integral easier and more efficient. It can also help to visualize the region of integration and make certain calculations more straightforward.

4. What are some common techniques for switching the order of the differentials?

There are several methods for switching the order of the differentials in a double integral, including using the properties of symmetry and changing the limits of integration. Other techniques include using polar or cylindrical coordinates, or applying the Jacobian transformation.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when switching the order of the differentials?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when switching the order of the differentials in a double integral. These include forgetting to take into account the limits of integration and not properly setting up the integral using the correct order of the differentials. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are followed correctly.