Help with exponential equation and finding t?

In summary, the hare learns 1 fact/day for 50 days. At the end of 50 days, the hare will know as much as the tortoise.
Dy19

Homework Statement

The question is: Mr Snail learns 1 fact/day. When will he know as much as the hare?

Homework Equations

The hare's learning rate is given by the equation: Learning Rate=50(e^((15-t)/5))+100
Where t is the time in days.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I have tried to make the equation equal to t, so that the total facts known will be the same as the amount of days passed, which is what I need. But I'm stuck?
What I have so far is:
t=50(e^((15-t)/5))+100
t-100=50(e^((15-t)/5))
(t/50)-2=e^((15-t)/5)
ln((t/50)-2)=ln(e^((15-t)/5))
ln((t/50)-2)=(15-t)/5
ln((t/50)-2)=3-(t/5)

And I have no idea of how to solve the equation from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to integrate to get the amount the hare learns in time t .

I have already integrated the equation to get the one I showed?
If a value for t is put into that equation, it will give the amount of facts learnt.

Dy19 said:
I have already integrated the equation to get the one I showed?
No , you have equated t to learning rate of hare .

I meant it as in that is the total facts learnt. Because the equation has already been integrated.

Dy19 said:
If a value for t is put into that equation, it will give the amount of facts learnt.
If you put a value for t in the equation for learing rate of hare , you will get exactly that - the learning rate at time t .

Dy19 said:
I meant it as in that is the total facts learnt. Because the equation has already been integrated.
No , that isn't possible . I don't understand this .

Basically, sorry, I must've worded it wrong. But the equation given is for the total amount of facts that the hare learns.

I need help with where I have gotten up to, or if it is wrong (like the way I've gone), I need help as to what to do.

Dy19 said:
Basically, sorry, I must've worded it wrong. But the equation given is for the total amount of facts that the hare learns.

I need help with where I have gotten up to, or if it is wrong (like the way I've gone), I need help as to what to do.

Just to clear things up once and for all: your function ##H(t) = 100 + 50 e^{(15-t)/5}## is NOT the learning rate; it is the (cumulative) amount of Mr. Hare's learning up to time ##t##. The learning rate would be ##R_H(t) = dH(t)/dt = -10 e^{(15-t)/5}##.

You can see right off that there must be something wrong with the formulation: your ##H(t)## is a decreasing function, so the Hare forgets his knowledge as he ages. On the other hand, if you are really serious that your ##H(t)## is actually the rate of learning, then the Hare's learning up to time ##t## is ##\int_0^t H(x) \, dx##, while the Tortoise's learning up to ##t## is just ##t## itself. That means that there is never any time at which the Tortoise catches the Hare.

Anyway, if all you want to do is solve the equation ##100 + 50 e^{(15-t)/5} = t## then just plot both sides to see where the two graphs cross. That will give you an estimate of the root. You can then refine it using one of many numerical equation-solving methods. The equation has no "closed-form" (algebraic formula) solution, although it can be solved in terms of the so-called Lambert W-function; see, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function . Basically, though, equations such as this are usually solved numerically.

Likes Qwertywerty

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression in which a variable appears as an exponent. It can be written in the form of y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the base, and x is the exponent.

2. How do I solve for the variable in an exponential equation?

To solve for the variable in an exponential equation, you will need to use logarithms. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, and then use algebraic rules to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

3. What is the value of the exponent in an exponential equation?

The value of the exponent in an exponential equation represents the number of times the base is multiplied by itself. For example, in the equation y = 2^x, the value of x is the exponent.

4. How do I find the value of the variable when given an exponential equation and a specific output?

To find the value of the variable in an exponential equation when given a specific output, you can substitute the given output for y and solve for the variable. This can be done by taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation and using algebraic rules to isolate the variable.

5. What is the significance of finding t in an exponential equation?

In an exponential equation, t represents the time variable. Finding the value of t allows you to determine the input that corresponds to a specific output, which can be useful in predicting future values or understanding the behavior of a system over time.