Help with Feedback System Z-Transform

In summary: I thought you have to find the transfer function first and then the step response. I didn't know you could just multiply the two z-transforms to get the step response. Thanks for the clarification.In summary, the conversation discusses a feedback system and its Z-transform representation. The steps for finding the impulse response and unit step response are explained, as well as how to find the output with initial conditions. Lastly, there is a clarification about the transfer function and step response.
NW8800
Hey,

I have the following standard feedback system:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7152/feedbacksystemuq5.jpg

This shows the Z-Transform where:

A(z) is the z transform for input a[n] and C(z) is the z-transform of the system's output c[n]

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9418/feedbacksystemscanpm3.jpg
For this question I assume I would need to get another difference equation with c[n] and b[n] terms then find c[-1] from the above question..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, just not sure how to get started on this one.

Cheers,

NW

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the responses by doing nodal analysis. Take the left node, for instance. The sum of the quantities pointing into the node must equal that going out, so

[tex]E(z)=A(z)+H(z)C(z)[/tex], but [tex]C(z)=E(z)G(z)[/tex] and so [tex]E(z)=A(z)+H(z)E(z)G(z)[/tex], or [tex]\frac{E(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{1}{1-H(z)G(z)}[/tex]. From here, it's obvious what C(z)/A(z) is in terms of H(z) and G(z). This quantity is the so-called impulse response. Can you do the rest?

jhicks said:
You can find the responses by doing nodal analysis. Take the left node, for instance. The sum of the quantities pointing into the node must equal that going out, so

[tex]E(z)=A(z)+H(z)C(z)[/tex], but [tex]C(z)=E(z)G(z)[/tex] and so [tex]E(z)=A(z)+H(z)E(z)G(z)[/tex], or [tex]\frac{E(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{1}{1-H(z)G(z)}[/tex]. From here, it's obvious what C(z)/A(z) is in terms of H(z) and G(z). This quantity is the so-called impulse response. Can you do the rest?

Although there is no sign indication in the input comparator, the sign for the feedback loop is probably negative, so we should have:
[tex]E(z)=A(z)-H(z)E(z)G(z)[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{E(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{1}{1+H(z)G(z)}[/tex]

Yes I forgot to edit my post to say just that, you are correct.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies... I can’t believe I made that mistake... CEL is right is a negative feedback system, sorry about that, it was late when I was drawing that pic :P

Thanks for showing the steps of how you got that jhicks :)

For the comparator (circle) A(z) is + and the Output from the H(z) block is a -... I.e. A(z) - [Output from the H(z) block], I guess you could call it [D(z)] which equals, [tex]D(z) = H(z)E(z)G(z)[/tex]

Which gives me [tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{G(z)}{1+H(z)G(z)}[/tex]

Subbing in for G(z) and H(z) to get the total system transfer function I.e. solve for [tex]C(z)[/tex] I end up with:

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z(z-8)}{(z-2)(z+4)}[/tex]

What would the unit step response be..? I think I'm starting to get the hang of it... Would I just times the above system transfer function by the standard unit step z-transform or what..?

Also, how do I find c[n] with initial conditions that's my 3rd question... (c[-1]=-3 c[-2]=4)?

Thanks once gain,

NW

Last edited:
NW8800 said:
Hey,

Thanks for the replies... I can’t believe I made that mistake... CEL is right is a negative feedback system, sorry about that, it was late when I was drawing that pic :P

Thanks for showing the steps of how you got that jhicks :)

For the comparator (circle) A(z) is + and the Output from the H(z) block is a -... I.e. A(z) - [Output from the H(z) block], I guess you could call it [D(z)] which equals, [tex]D(z) = H(z)E(z)G(z)[/tex]

Which gives me [tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{G(z)}{1+H(z)G(z)}[/tex]Subbing in for G(z) and H(z) to get the total system transfer function I.e. solve for [tex]C(z)[/tex] I end up with:

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z(z-8)}{(z-2)(z+4)}[/tex]What would the unit step response be..? I think I'm starting to get the hang of it... Would I just times the above system transfer function by the standard unit step z-transform or what..?

Also, how do I find c[n] with initial conditions that's my 3rd question... (c[-1]=-3 c[-2]=4)?Thanks once gain,NW

The transfer function is
[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z(z+8)}{(z+2)(z+4)}[/tex]
For the step response you multiply the transfer function by the z-transform of the step and take the inverse z-transform of the result.
For your last question, the inverse z-transform of the transfer function gives you the relationship of c[n] and a[n]. Substitute the initial conditions in the equation and then substitute a[n] by its values for n = 0, 1, 2, ...

Hey CEL,

Thanks very much for your fast reply :)

Can I ask, how you got [tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z(z+8)}{(z+2)(z+4)}[/tex]

I had:

[tex]\frac{z}{(z+1)} * \frac{(z+1)(z-8)}{(z+1)(z-8)+9z}[/tex]

Simplify to

Where H(z) = 9/(z-8)..?

Also would the unit step response for the system be..?

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z^2(z+8)}{(z+2)(z+4)(z-1)}[/tex]

Or

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z^2(z-8)}{(z-2)(z+4)(z-1)}[/tex]?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

NW

NW8800 said:
Hey CEL,

Thanks very much for your fast reply :)

Can I ask, how you got [tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z(z+8)}{(z+2)(z+4)}[/tex]

I had:

[tex]\frac{z}{(z+1)} * \frac{(z+1)(z-8)}{(z+1)(z-8)+9z}[/tex]

Simplify to

Where H(z) = 9/(z-8)..?

Also would the unit step response for the system be..?

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z^2(z+8)}{(z+2)(z+4)(z-1)}[/tex]

Or

[tex]\frac{C(z)}{A(z)}=\frac{z^2(z-8)}{(z-2)(z+4)(z-1)}[/tex]?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

NW

You are right. I read H(z) as 9/(z+8) instead of 9/(z-8)

CEL said:
For the step response you multiply the transfer function by the z-transform of the step and take the inverse z-transform of the result.
For your last question, the inverse z-transform of the transfer function gives you the relationship of c[n] and a[n]. Substitute the initial conditions in the equation and then substitute a[n] by its values for n = 0, 1, 2, ...

CEL could you please help me further with this?

Last edited:
Could someone please show me how to get the difference equation of the transfer function of the system?

NW8800 said:
Could someone please show me how to get the difference equation of the transfer function of the system?

Multiply the numerator and the denominator by [tex]z^{-3}[/tex].
Then, multiply C(z) by the denominator and A(z) by the numerator.
Remember that the inverse transform of [tex]z^{-1}F(z)[/tex] is [tex]f[n-1][/tex].

What the inverse z-transform for the transfer function of this system and how do I sub in the initial conditions in this equation and then a[n]?

NW8800 said:
What the inverse z-transform for the transfer function of this system and how do I sub in the initial conditions in this equation and then a[n]?

When you make the calculations I suggested you will have c[n] as a function of c[n-1], c[n-2], a[n] and a[n-1].
You have c[-2] and c[-1]. a[-1] = 0, since a[n] = 0.5nu[n].
Now you can calculate c[0].
The other values of c[n] follow.

Thanks for that CEL :) Seem to be getting somewhere :d

For my last question the the 1st post... With B(z) - the output from block H(z)...

would B(z) = C(z) * H(z)

Which equals [tex]B(z) = H(z)G(z)[R(z)-H(z)C(z)] [/tex]...>?

CEL said:
When you make the calculations I suggested you will have c[n] as a function of c[n-1], c[n-2], a[n] and a[n-1].
You have c[-2] and c[-1]. a[-1] = 0, since a[n] = 0.5nu[n].
Now you can calculate c[0].
The other values of c[n] follow.

How would I find the initial conditions terms, like would I take the Z-transform of the difference equation when i sub in the initial condition terms to the difference eqn?

NW8800 said:
Thanks for that CEL :) Seem to be getting somewhere :d

For my last question the the 1st post... With B(z) - the output from block H(z)...

would B(z) = C(z) * H(z)

Which equals [tex]B(z) = H(z)G(z)[R(z)-H(z)C(z)] [/tex]...>?

Yes, that's it.

NW8800 said:
How would I find the initial conditions terms, like would I take the Z-transform of the difference equation when i sub in the initial condition terms to the difference eqn?

You use the time domain equation.
You have
c[n] = f{c[n-1], c[n-2], a[n], a[n-1]}
making n = 0, you get
c[0] = f{c[-1], c[-2], a[0], a[-1]}
once you have c[0], you can calculate
c[1] = f{c[0], c[-1], a[1], a[-1]}

and so on

Related to Help with Feedback System Z-Transform

1. What is a Feedback System?

A feedback system is a control system that uses information from the output of a process to make adjustments to the input in order to achieve a desired outcome.

2. How does a Feedback System work?

A feedback system works by comparing the output of a process to a desired setpoint and making adjustments to the input based on this comparison. The adjustments are made using a feedback controller, which uses mathematical algorithms to calculate the necessary changes.

3. What is the Z-Transform?

The Z-Transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze discrete-time signals and systems. It transforms a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency domain representation, making it easier to analyze and design feedback systems.

4. How is the Z-Transform used in Feedback Systems?

The Z-Transform is used in feedback systems to analyze the stability, performance, and robustness of the system. It can also be used to design feedback controllers that will achieve desired system behavior.

5. What are the benefits of using the Z-Transform in Feedback Systems?

The Z-Transform allows for more accurate analysis and design of feedback systems compared to other methods. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior in the frequency domain, making it easier to make adjustments and improvements.