Help with Geometry of Vectors Questions

In summary, the question asks for the direction vector between two points on a plane, but the person is unfamiliar with the terminology or notation. The direction vector is the difference between two vectors, and it can be found by calculating the magnitude of the cross product.
Guest2
View attachment 5379

I would appreciate any help with this questions because I truly horrid at geometry questions.

I've only done (i) to which I've found the answer to be (E). I can't do from from part (ii) on.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 20.54.57.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 20.54.57.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 67
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A couple of hints to get you started:

For (ii), this plane is the perpendicular bisector of the line $AB$.

For (iii), use the cross product $\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}$. This has magnitude $|\mathbf{a}|\,|\mathbf{b}|\sin\theta$, where $\theta$ is the angle between $OA$ and $OB$.

Opalg said:
A couple of hints to get you started:

For (ii), this plane is the perpendicular bisector of the line $AB$.

For (iii), use the cross product $\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}$. This has magnitude $|\mathbf{a}|\,|\mathbf{b}|\sin\theta$, where $\theta$ is the angle between $OA$ and $OB$.
Thank you.

The midpoint between the two points will be a point on the plane. This point is $\left(\frac{4-2}{2}, \frac{1+7}{2}, \frac{4-2}{2} \right) = (1,4,1)$.

The direction vector between the two points, which is also a normal to the plane, is $(-2-4, 7-1, 4+6) = (-6, 6, 6)$

The general equation for a plane is $\mathbf{n} \cdot <x-x_0, y-y_0, z-z_0> =0 $, we have $\mathbf{n} = (-6,6,6)$ and $(x_0, y_0, z_0) =(1,4,1)$

So we have $<1,4,1><-6, 6, 6> = 0 \implies x-y-z = -4$ and so the answer is (B).

I just have a question that's due to my ignorance. I calculated the direction vector as the difference $\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}$. But how do we know which to subtract from which vector when finding the direction vector? I imagine I would have got a different answer if I calculated the direction vector as $\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}$.

For (iii) we have $\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b} = (18, -12, 30) \implies ||\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}|| = \sqrt{1368} \implies \frac{1}{2}||\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}|| = \sqrt{342} \implies \triangle ^2 = 342$.

The reason being the area of the triangle is half the area of the parallelogram formed which is $||\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b}||$. (Happy)

So the answer to $(iii)$ is $(A)$. If anyone could give me a hint or suggestion for part $(iv)$ I'd appreciate it.

For $(v)$ we have $ (\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}) \cdot \mathbf{w}(t) = 0 \implies <6,-6,-6><2, t, 1> = 0\implies 6t = 6 \implies t = 1$, so the answer to (v) is $(C)$.

For $(iv)$ let $P = (a, b, c)$ now $|PA| = 2|PB| \iff [(4,1,2)-(a, b, c)] = 2[(-2,7,4) -(a, b, c)] \iff (a, b, c) = (-8, 13, 10).$

So is the answer to $(iv) ~(F)$ none of these, or am I getting something wrong (more likely)? Only this remains now! (Happy)

Last edited:
Guest said:
For $(v)$ we have $ (\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}) \cdot \mathbf{w}(t) = 0 \implies <6,-6,-6><2, t, 1> = 0\implies 6t = 6 \implies t = 1$, so the answer to (v) is $(C)$.

For $(iv)$ let $P = (a, b, c)$ now $|PA| = 2|PB| \iff [(4,1,2)-(a, b, c)] = 2[(-2,7,4) -(a, b, c)] \iff (a, b, c) = (-8, 13, 10).$

So is the answer to $(iv) ~(F)$ none of these, or am I getting something wrong (more likely)? Only this remains now! (Happy)
For (iv), $P$ is two-thirds of the way from $A$ to $B$. So its position vector will be $\frac23\mathbf{b} + \frac13\mathbf{a}.$ Your answer $(-8,13,10)$ satisfies the condition $|PA| = 2|PB|$, but it does not lie on the line segment $AB$. In fact is lies beyond $B$, in the opposite direction from $A$.

Part (i) should be easy; 4(-2) + 1(7) + -2(4) = -9.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

2. How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, and then drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector is the sum or difference of the original vectors, respectively.

3. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar (a single number). It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and then multiplying that by the cosine of the angle between them. The dot product is useful for finding the angle between two vectors or determining if they are perpendicular.

4. How do vectors relate to geometry?

Vectors are often used in geometry to represent physical quantities, such as force or velocity, that have both magnitude and direction. They can also be used to describe the position of a point in space relative to a reference point.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it includes both speed (magnitude) and direction of motion, while speed is a scalar because it only includes magnitude.