Help with Geometry: Volume, Area and Perimeter of Pyramid

In summary, the conversation is about finding the perimeter, volume, and surface area of a geometry figure, which is a pyramid with all sides measuring 5 cm. The perimeter is 40 cm, the surface area is 25√3 + 25 cm^2, and the volume is 125/3√2 cm^3. The figure is a pyramid with a square base and four slanted edges of length 5 cm. The height of the pyramid is 5/√2 cm.
beh4R
Hello .
I am in the end of my exams and i have to do a geometry figure like a pyramid ( view image ) below
Now i should find the Perimeter, Volume and Surface of this figure .
Lengths are all 5 cm, Can somebody find and write the
Permiter,volume and surface for this figure please it's urgent :confused: :confused:
3310toz.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
beh4R said:
Hello .
I am in the end of my exams and i have to do a geometry figure like a pyramid ( view image ) below
Now i should find the Perimeter, Volume and Surface of this figure .
Lengths are all 5 cm, Can somebody find and write the
Permiter,volume and surface for this figure please it's urgent :confused: :confused:

Good morning,

I've to do a lot of guessing, so if I guessed correctly you can finish the problem, otherwise you have to provide us with additional detailed informations:

1. I assume that the figure shows a sector of a circle. If so the figure is the curved surface of a cone with the slanted line s = 5 cm and the arc a = 5 cm.
2. The area \(\displaystyle A_s\) of a sector is calculated by: \(\displaystyle A_s = \frac12 \cdot a \cdot s\)
3. The arc of the sector is the circumference of the base circle of the cone. You can determine the radius r of the base circle by: \(\displaystyle a = 2 \pi \cdot r\)
4. The volume of a cone is calculated by: \(\displaystyle V = \frac13 \cdot \pi \cdot r^2 \cdot h\)
where h denotes the height of the cone.
5. Use Pythagorean theorem to derive h from r and s.

I'll leave it to you to calculate the complete surface area of the cone.

... and btw I couldn't imagine what a perimeter of a solid could be? :confused:

Attachments

• keglmantl.png
    keglmantl.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 71
Hello, beh4R!

I am in the end of my exams and i have to do a geometry
figure like a pyramid. .All lengths are 5 cm.

Find the perimeter, volume, and surface area.

Code:
        5 *   *   *

I assume this is a pyramid with a square base.There are four slanted edges of length 5.
The base is a square with side 5.
The perimeter is: [tex]4\cdot5 + 4\cdot 5 \:=\:40\:cm.[/tex]

There are four equilateral triangles with side 5.
. . Their area is: [tex]4\cdot\tfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4}(5^2) \,=\,25\sqrt{3}\,cm^2[/tex]
. . Its area is [tex]5^2\,=\,25\,cm^2[/tex]
Surface area: .[tex](25\sqrt{3} + 25)\,cm^2[/tex]

Slice the pyramid through two opposite slanted sides.
Code:
[SIZE=2]            *[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]        5 * : * 5
        *   :   *
      *  *  *_ *  *
           5√2[/SIZE]
We have an isosceles right triangle.
Its height is [tex]\tfrac{5}{\sqrt{2}}\,cm.[/tex]

Volume: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{3}(5^2)\left(\tfrac{5}{\sqrt{2}}\right) \:=\:\frac{125}{3\sqrt{2}}\,cm^3[/tex]

soroban said:
Hello, beh4R!

I assume this is a pyramid with a square base.There are four slanted edges of length 5.
The perimeter is: [tex]4\cdot5 + 4\cdot 5 \:=\:40\:cm.[/tex]

There are four equilateral triangles with side 5.
. . Their area is: [tex]4\cdot\tfrac{\sqrt{3}}{4}(5^2) \,=\,25\sqrt{3}\,cm^2[/tex]
. . Its area is [tex]5^2\,=\,25\,cm^2[/tex]
Surface area: .[tex](25\sqrt{3} + 25)\,cm^2[/tex]

Slice the pyramid through two opposite slanted sides.
Code:
[SIZE=2]            *[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]        5 * : * 5
        *   :   *
      *  *  *_ *  *
           5√2[/SIZE]
We have an isosceles right triangle.
Its height is [tex]\tfrac{5}{\sqrt{2}}\,cm.[/tex]

Volume: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{3}(5^2)\left(\tfrac{5}{\sqrt{2}}\right) \:=\:\frac{125}{3\sqrt{2}}\,cm^3[/tex]
ok thnaks so much i will write this in my notebook . hope its correct and to not remain in exam :) God bless you (Inlove)

Hello,

Sure, I would be happy to help you with finding the perimeter, volume, and surface area of a pyramid.

First, let's start with the perimeter. The perimeter of a pyramid is the sum of the lengths of all its sides. Since all the lengths in this pyramid are 5 cm, the perimeter would be 4 x 5 cm = 20 cm.

Next, let's calculate the volume. The volume of a pyramid is given by the formula V = (1/3) x base area x height. Since the base of this pyramid is a square with side length 5 cm, the base area would be 5 cm x 5 cm = 25 cm². The height of the pyramid can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (a and b). In this case, the height (h) is the hypotenuse and the other two sides (a and b) are the base and the slant height (l) of the pyramid. So, we can write the equation as h² = 5² + l². Since we know that the slant height of a pyramid is given by l = √(h² - (1/2b)²), we can substitute this in the equation and solve for h. After substituting and solving, we get h = √(25 - 12.5) = √12.5 ≈ 3.54 cm. Therefore, the volume of the pyramid would be V = (1/3) x 25 cm² x 3.54 cm ≈ 29.5 cm³.

Lastly, let's find the surface area. The surface area of a pyramid is given by the formula A = base area + (1/2) x perimeter x slant height. Again, the base area is 25 cm² and the perimeter is 20 cm. The slant height can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem as mentioned earlier, so we get l = √(12.5 + (1/4) x 5²) = √(12.5 + 6.25) ≈ √18.75 ≈ 4.33 cm. Therefore, the surface area of the pyramid would be

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a pyramid?

The formula for finding the volume of a pyramid is V = (1/3) * base area * height, where the base area is the area of the base of the pyramid and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the apex.

2. How do I find the area of the base of a pyramid?

The area of the base of a pyramid can be found by using the formula for the area of the shape that makes up the base. For example, if the base is a square, the area would be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself. If the base is a triangle, the area would be found by using the formula A = (1/2) * base * height, where the base is one side of the triangle and the height is the perpendicular distance from that side to the opposite vertex.

3. Can the volume of a pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a pyramid cannot be negative. Volume is a measurement of space, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. Is the volume of a pyramid always smaller than the volume of a cube with the same base area and height?

Yes, the volume of a pyramid is always smaller than the volume of a cube with the same base area and height. This is because a pyramid has a slanted shape, while a cube is a solid, three-dimensional shape with straight edges.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the volume of any pyramid?

Yes, the formula V = (1/3) * base area * height can be used to find the volume of any pyramid, regardless of the shape of its base. However, if the pyramid has a different shape for its base, you will need to use the appropriate formula to find the area of the base before plugging it into the volume formula.