Help with Graphing Equations in the Co-ordinate Plane

• Thread starter 939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary: Is that wrong?RGVIn summary, the conversation involved two equations and their corresponding sets and graphs. The first equation is given as y = f(x) = 2-x/2 and the set {x : f(x) < 1, x ∈ X}, where X = [0,4] ⊂ R. The second equation is y = f(x) = x2 /x1 and the set {x : f(x) = 1, x ∈ X}, where X = R2+ \{(0,0)}. The sets are described and the corresponding graphs are requested to be drawn in the coordinate plane. The notation [0,4] indicates that x must be between 0 and 4,
1. Relevant equations
1) Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R and y = f (x) = 2 - x/2. Describe the set { x : f (x) < 1, x ∈
X} and graph the set { (x,y) : y = f (x) < 1, x ∈ X} in the co-ordinate plane.

2) Let X = R2+ \{(0,0)} and y = f (x) = x2 /x1. Graph the set { x : f (x) = 1, x ∈ X}
in the co-ordinate plane.

2. The attempt at a solution

1) I am not sure what "Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R" means. As for the graph, is it not merely a line like this "\" stopping just before y = 1?

2) Is it not merely a horizontal line at y = 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:
1. Relevant equations
1) Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R and y = f (x) = 2 - x/2. Describe the set { x : f (x) < 1, x ∈
X} and graph the set { (x,y) : y = f (x) < 1, x ∈ X} in the co-ordinate plane.

2) Let X = R2+ \{(0,0)} and y = f (x) = x2 /x1. Graph the set { x : f (x) = 1, x ∈ X}
in the co-ordinate plane.

2. The attempt at a solution

1) I am not sure what "Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R" means. As for the graph, is it not merely a line like this "\" stopping just before y = 1?

2) Is it not merely a horizontal line at y = 1?

Do you know what the notation [0,4] means? And the answer is YES to your other questions.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Do you know what the notation [0,4] means? And the answer is YES to your other questions.

RGV

Yes, I'm know 100% what that notation means... If it means something different than what's in the equation, please tell me, if not, thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

939 said:
Yes, I'm know 100% what that notation means...
How can you be 100% sure of what [0, 4] means and not know what "Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R" means? And how can you say you know 100% what it means and the ask if it means something different? What do YOU think it means. We can't tell you if it means something different until you tell us that!

HallsofIvy said:
How can you be 100% sure of what [0, 4] means and not know what "Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R" means? And how can you say you know 100% what it means and the ask if it means something different? What do YOU think it means. We can't tell you if it means something different until you tell us that!

Sorry, I was sure [0,4] ment x must be equal to or between 0 and 4, and Let X = [0,4] ⊂ R means x be equal to or between 0 and 4 and must be a real number?

Related to Help with Graphing Equations in the Co-ordinate Plane

1. What is the co-ordinate plane?

The co-ordinate plane is a two-dimensional graph with two perpendicular number lines called the x-axis and y-axis. It is used to plot points and graph equations.

2. How do I plot points on the co-ordinate plane?

To plot a point on the co-ordinate plane, you need to identify the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of the point and then plot it on the corresponding axis. The point will be where the two lines intersect.

3. What is the slope of a line on the co-ordinate plane?

The slope of a line on the co-ordinate plane is the measure of its steepness. It is calculated by dividing the change in y-coordinates by the change in x-coordinates between two points on the line.

4. How do I graph a linear equation on the co-ordinate plane?

To graph a linear equation, you need to choose values for x and then solve for y. Plot these points on the co-ordinate plane and connect them with a straight line. Alternatively, you can use the slope-intercept form (y=mx+b) to identify the y-intercept and slope, and then graph the line using these values.

5. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear equation on the co-ordinate plane?

A linear equation on the co-ordinate plane will always result in a straight line, while a non-linear equation will result in a curved line. The slope of a linear equation is constant, while the slope of a non-linear equation changes at different points on the graph.