How Do You Apply Laplace Transforms to Vehicle Suspension Analysis?

In summary: Each input meaning unit step, ramp step and impulse"In summary, when inputting x into a system, the Laplace transform is used to predict the displacement y in response.
AnkleBreaker

Homework Statement

question.png

Diagram for a vehicle suspension is given. Displacement of wheel is given by 'x' and and displacement of body is 'y'.
Spring constant, k = (7*10^4) Nm
Damping coefficient, c = (3*10^3) N/m/s
mass,m = 250kg
a) Make a Laplace Transform of system and utilize it to predict 'y' in response to various inputs (step, impulse, ramp)

Homework Equations

Sprint force, Fs = kx
Damping force, Fd = cv
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

In this question,
y(t) = output
x(t) = input
y(t)/x(t) = transfer function

∑F = ma (but at equillibrium, a = 0)

Therefore ∑F = 0

(ignoring force by damper for now and resolving forces)
question2.png

Fs = mg
Fs = k[ (original spring length, L0) - (new spring length, X0) ] = mg
Fs = k[ L0 - ( X0 + y(t) - x(t) ) ]
After simplifying...
Fs = k( L0 - X0 ) - k( y(t) -x(t) )
∑F = -mg + k( L0 - X0 ) - k( y(t) -x(t) )
Because mg = k( L0 - X0 ) [proven above]
∑F = - k( y(t) -x(t) ) = ma
m(d^2y/dt^2) + ky(t) = kx(t)

Accounting for the damping force
Fd = -c[ (dy/dt) - (dx/dt) ]

Therefore
∑F = - k( y(t) -x(t) ) - c[ (dy/dt) - (dx/dt) ] = m(d^2y/dt^2)
m(d^2y/dt^2) + c(dy/dt) + ky(t) = kx(t) + c(dx/dt) <---- Differential equation

Applying Laplace transformation...
Y(s)ms^2 + Y(S)cs + Y(S)k = X(S)k + X(s)cs
Y(S)[ms^2 + cs + k] = X(S)[k + cs]

Therefore,
Y(S)/X(S) = (cs + k) / (ms^2 + cs + k)

I have completed the question up to that point. It would be appreciated if someone could check my working and let me know if my answers are correct or there is something wrong.

I'm also having trouble completing this part of the question:
"it to predict 'y' in response to various inputs (step, impulse, ramp)"

Am I correct in assuming, this is how you do it?
Y(S) = [ (cs + k) / (ms^2 + cs + k) ] * X(S)
(cross multiply X(S))

And then you substitute values for X(S).
Ex:
unit step, X(S) = 1/s
ramp, X(S) = 1/s^2

Is that how its done?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
AnkleBreaker said:
Ex:
unit step, X(S) = 1/s
You should write: X(s) = 1/s, because what is (upper case) S?

Another thing is: Is it physically possible to change the displacement of the wheel, X(s), by a stepfunction? What will the velocity, s*X(s), or the forces be at that instance ?
A ramp or a sine wave is ok.

I have not checked your work, but in principle it seems to be correct.

Likes AnkleBreaker
Instead of calculating in the time domain, why don't you sketch the system directly in the Laplace domain ( see attached ).

Attachments

• scan0027.pdf
    374.9 KB · Views: 257
Likes AnkleBreaker
Hesch said:
You should write: X(s) = 1/s, because what is (upper case) S?

Another thing is: Is it physically possible to change the displacement of the wheel, X(s), by a stepfunction? What will the velocity, s*X(s), or the forces be at that instance ?
A ramp or a sine wave is ok.

I have not checked your work, but in principle it seems to be correct.

Thank you so much for your reply

"You should write: X(s) = 1/s, because what is (upper case) S?"

I was under the impression that once laplace transform is applied, (lower case) t is converted to (upper case) S
y(t) ---> Y(S)
x(t)----> X(S)

"What will the velocity, s*X(s), or the forces be at that instance ?"

The question doesn't explicitly say anything about velocity or forces. They just want to see how the displacement of the mass 'y' varies with each input of x
Each input meaning unit step, ramp step and impulse

Again, thank you for your reply.

Hesch said:
Instead of calculating in the time domain, why don't you sketch the system directly in the Laplace domain ( see attached ).
Thank you very much for your reply.

I looked at the attached pdf. I calculated in the time domain, because in the second part of the question, we have to create a simulink model, for which I thought I would need the differential equation.

Your attached document has a final Laplace model similar to the equation I got. Do you think my working is correct?

Thank you for your reply

AnkleBreaker said:
I was under the impression that once laplace transform is applied, (lower case) t is converted to (upper case) S
You may choose 'S' or 's': X(S) = 1/S or X(s) = 1/s. Both makes sense.

But writing X(S) = 1/s doesn't, because the righthand side is not a function of S, but a function of s, which is the complex variable in the Laplace domain.
In the time domain, you wouldn't write: F(T) = sin(t) ?

AnkleBreaker said:
The question doesn't explicitly say anything about velocity or forces. They just want to see how the displacement of the mass 'y' varies with each input of x
Each input meaning unit step, ramp step and impulse
I'm not a mathematician, but I think there are some rules, regarding in which cases the Laplace transform is defined. So I just stick to reasonable sense and in which cases e.g. the amount of force will be finite. Then I feel 'safe'.
AnkleBreaker said:
Your attached document has a final Laplace model similar to the equation I got. Do you think my working is correct?
Yes.

Likes AnkleBreaker
Hesch said:
You may choose 'S' or 's': X(S) = 1/S or X(s) = 1/s. Both makes sense.

But writing X(S) = 1/s doesn't, because the righthand side is not a function of S, but a function of s, which is the complex variable in the Laplace domain.
In the time domain, you wouldn't write: F(T) = sin(t) ?I'm not a mathematician, but I think there are some rules, regarding in which cases the Laplace transform is defined. So I just stick to reasonable sense and in which cases e.g. the amount of force will be finite. Then I feel 'safe'.

Yes.

"But writing X(S) = 1/s doesn't, because the righthand side is not a function of S, but a function of s, which is the complex variable in the Laplace domain.
In the time domain, you wouldn't write: F(T) = sin(t) ?"

I understand now. Thank you.

I'm partway through finding the responses. Just to clarify, all I have to do is substitute X(s) by 1/s (unit step), 1 (impulse), 1/s^2, and then simplify and then find the inverse laplace (to convert it back into a time domain). Am I correct?

Thank you for your response.

1. What is the Laplace Transform and why is it important in science?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is important in science because it allows us to solve differential equations, which are used to model many physical systems.

2. How do I perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you need to use the Laplace Transform formula, which involves integrating the function with respect to time and multiplying it by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable. This can be done using a table of Laplace Transform pairs or by using a computer program.

3. What are some common applications of the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is commonly used in engineering and physics to model systems such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and heat transfer. It is also used in signal processing to analyze signals and filter out noise.

4. Can I use the Laplace Transform on any function?

The Laplace Transform can only be applied to functions that are "well-behaved" or "nice". This means that the function must be continuous, have a finite number of discontinuities, and be of exponential order. If a function meets these criteria, the Laplace Transform can be applied to it.

5. How can I use the Laplace Transform to solve differential equations?

The Laplace Transform can be used to solve differential equations by transforming the equation from the time domain to the frequency domain. This results in an algebraic equation, which can be solved for the transformed function. The inverse Laplace Transform can then be used to transform the solution back to the time domain.