Help with learning phyics over the course of the year

In summary: if your schedule allows, then two sessions a week (or one session on friday and one on saturday) should be fine.
discordplus
Hey guys, I'm starting my sophomore year in high school this week and I'm intending to study for the physics olympiad for the next two years but I had a question about how to manage my work load. I already get a lot of work as I go to one of those competitive high schools, but I'm making it my duty to learn all of mechanics/thermo at intro undergrad level (I sort of did already but not as focused as I'm intending to do so now). I'm using Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane. So my question is:

How much physics should I manage to do every day without really screwing up with my other classes. I've decided that an hour or so every day will do fine (although other opinions/ideas are surely welcome), but in that hour how much should I get accomplished?

Two or three sections? More than that? There's a total of 26 chapters of thermo and mechanics in the book.

Maybe a better question is, are there any colleges that use this book that put the reading assignments on a website or something so that I can have an idea of how I can do the work within maybe 6 months time?

If I finish mechanics by then, I can try to get through E&M by the end of the summer and work on Irodov and such until the olympiads.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it really depends on your schedule; if you have a busy work load for other classes 1 and a half hour is good. However, if you have spare time in hand 2 will be fine. =)

Good luck
- Maroc

when I self studied HRK's Physics I spent one week on each chapter, probably about an hour or so (whatever I could finish at that time span). most of the time that kind of pacing was fine, and then starting friday night I'd work on the problem sets at the end of each chapter. took me the whole weekend (about 2 or so hrs each weekend day) to complete the entire problem set.

at that rate it took me the whole year + the summer to work through vol. 1 and 2, which I thought wasn't bad.

Related to Help with learning phyics over the course of the year

1. How can I improve my understanding of physics over the course of the year?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of physics over the course of the year. First, make sure you attend all of your classes and take thorough notes. Additionally, practice solving problems on a regular basis and seek help from your teacher or classmates when needed. You can also supplement your learning by reading textbooks or watching online lectures.

2. What resources are available to help me with learning physics?

There are many resources available to help with learning physics. Your school or local library may have textbooks or study guides that you can borrow. There are also numerous online resources such as Khan Academy, YouTube tutorials, and interactive simulations that can aid in your understanding of physics.

3. How can I stay motivated to learn physics throughout the year?

It can be challenging to stay motivated with any subject over the course of a year. One way to stay motivated with physics is to set achievable goals for yourself, such as improving your grade or mastering a certain concept. Additionally, try to find real-world applications of physics that interest you, as this can make the subject more engaging and relevant.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific concept in physics?

If you are struggling with a specific concept in physics, don't be afraid to ask for help. Your teacher, classmates, or a tutor can provide additional explanations or practice problems to help you better understand the concept. You can also try finding different resources, such as online videos or alternative explanations in textbooks.

5. How can I prepare for exams and tests throughout the year in physics?

To prepare for exams and tests in physics, make sure you regularly review your notes and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to review key concepts and formulas. Additionally, try to identify any areas where you may need extra help and seek assistance from your teacher or classmates.