What are the best online physics courses?

In summary, BadgerBadger92 wants to go back to school and continue their formal education in physics. They have bad credit and haven't done an extensive search for online physics degree programs, but they think enrolling in a community college and taking remedial math and completing the sequence of math courses is a good idea.
BadgerBadger92
After a long time, I think I want to go back to school. I want to go to an online college.

So here are my questions

What is the most highly recommended college? (Preferably one with relativity, quantum mechanics, and field theory)

What kind of tuition and course prices should I expect?

I hope I don’t make anyone angry. I’m still a noob.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done an extensive search for online physics degree programs myself. I remember reading on this forum about two online bachelor's degree programs in physics:

The Open University in the UK. If nobody chimes in about it, you might be able to find some comments or discussion by using a forum search.

Arizona State University online BS in physics, as discussed in this fairly recent thread (last September):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/want-to-continue-my-formal-education.1045644/

Do you want to do this for self-enrichment only? In that case, taking free online courses via e.g. MIT Opencourseware, or Coursera, or EdX, might suffice.

Or do you want an actual degree to use as a credential for a job search, graduate school, etc.? You'll surely have to pay for that, but I have no idea what OU and ASU charge. You'll have to rummage around on their web sites.

Last edited:
BadgerBadger92 said:
I’m still a noob.
By choice.
jtbell said:
I haven't done an extensive search for online physics degree programs myself.
Well, why the heck not? Hop to it! Don't you know the badger is waiting! Chop chop!

@BadgerBadger92 a college education in physics requires more math than long division. You need to demonstrate mastery at the high school level at the start of the process. It requires sticking to the plan, something you have shown no desire to do: you've been asking this for NINE YEARS in one form or another.,

Likes Astronuc and malawi_glenn
I think the best course of action, based on reading and responding to previous post. Is to enroll at a community college, and take remedial math, and complete the sequence of math courses. Ie., up to calculus 3/LA, and possibly Differential Equations.

It is a much cheaper investment that will help with your further investment in a physics degree, and you get the help and guidance you need.

At this point, by enrolling into an online physics program you are highly likely to throw away thousands and thousands of dollars down the drain.

• Informative
Likes CalcNerd, symbolipoint, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
MidgetDwarf said:
I think the best course of action, based on reading and responding to previous post. Is to enroll at a community college, and take remedial math, and complete the sequence of math courses. Ie., up to calculus 3/LA, and possibly Differential Equations.
I think that's a great idea. Since @BadgerBadger92 has been out of school for a while, their math skills are likely rusty. I was going to suggest taking the SAT (or just a few practice SAT tests) to see where they are at, and how much remedial work they will need to add to their plan:

https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/practice-preparation/practice-tests

I think I’m just going to go to community college. I hope I can get financial aid.

Likes berkeman
I have one last question.

If you go to community college would that be enough math and beginner concepts to understand more complex topics?

Make that two questions.

I have bad credit since I was being treated for schizophrenia. I’ve had countless ECT treatments to the point my credit score is in the crapper. Is there a way I can still get a decent loan so I can advance beyond an associates degree?

Last edited:
BadgerBadger92 said:
I think I’m just going to go to community college. I hope I can get financial aid.
CC is usually a fairly inexpensive option for the first 2 years. Can you work a mostly full time job and take a little more time at CC to make the financials work?

Likes CalcNerd and Lnewqban
berkeman said:
CC is usually a fairly inexpensive option for the first 2 years. Can you work a mostly full time job and take a little more time at CC to make the financials work?
I am looking for a new job that offers 30 hours per week. I hope that will be enough to make ends meet and enough time to study.

Likes berkeman
I believe you want to get to advanced physics. To get there, you will need calculus-based freshman physics. This requires being comfortable with algebra, geometry and pre-calculus. You need to bring your math skills upto this level before attempting freshman physics.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21, symbolipoint and berkeman
If your goal is ultimately get a bachelors degree in physics, then the physics classes will most likely have calculus 1 as a prerequisite for the first physics course and calculus 2 as co-req with the 2nd physics class. Most likely you'll need Calc 3 and Differential Equations, but I believe math at that level is taught at CC. I know they are with the CC's in my area.

Best of luck,

clb

Likes CalcNerd
BadgerBadger92 said:

If you go to community college would that be enough math and beginner concepts to understand more complex topics?

Make that two questions.

I have bad credit since I was being treated for schizophrenia. I’ve had countless ECT treatments to the point my credit score is in the crapper. Is there a way I can still get a decent loan so I can advance beyond an associates degree?
I only needed to pay about $10,000 for my BS in Math. Since I went to a very affordable
BadgerBadger92 said:

Make that two questions.

Not sure about the loan part, but if you make under a certain level of income, you can qualify for financial aid. Provided you do not have certain convictions on your record, or exhausted the allowable award. Moreover, the community college is typically cheap.

Apply via Fafsa, and see what happens. No use in pondering.

MidgetDwarf said:
but if you make under a certain level of income, you can qualify for financial aid.
This tends to be low for Community College.

The tyhinking is that if College X charges $30,000/year and you get 40% off, and CC charges $3000/year and you get very little off, you're still better off. They tend to use these funds to reduce tuition rather than pick and choose what each student should pay.

Taking a course at my nearest CC averages $7.50/hour of instruction. That's about what a movie costs. How much cheaper can it realistically get?

Note that FAFSAs are dur at the end of the month.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing the best online physics courses?

When choosing the best online physics courses, it is important to consider the course content, instructor qualifications, flexibility of the course schedule, interactive learning opportunities, and student reviews and ratings.

2. Are there any online physics courses that offer hands-on laboratory experience?

Yes, there are several online physics courses that offer virtual or remote laboratory experiences. These courses use simulations, virtual experiments, or remote access to actual laboratory equipment to provide students with hands-on learning opportunities.

3. How do online physics courses compare to traditional in-person courses?

Online physics courses can offer similar quality of instruction as traditional in-person courses, but with added flexibility and convenience. However, online courses may lack the face-to-face interaction and hands-on laboratory experience that traditional courses offer.

4. Are there any free online physics courses available?

Yes, there are several reputable universities and organizations that offer free online physics courses, such as MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, and Khan Academy. These courses may not offer college credit, but can still provide valuable knowledge and skills.

5. What are some recommended online physics courses for beginners?

Some recommended online physics courses for beginners include "Introduction to Physics" from MIT OpenCourseWare, "Physics 101" from Coursera, and "Physics for the 21st Century" from Khan Academy. These courses cover basic concepts and are designed for students with little to no prior knowledge of physics.