Help with making a two sided confidence interval

In summary, the author is looking for clarification on a study that measured the diameter of screws. The data has a frequency distribution with the following values: -0.03, -0.02, -0.01, 0.00, 0.01, 0.02. The author is trying to calculate a 90% two sided interval for the mean difference in digital and vernier readings, but keeps getting incorrect results. After double checking their calculation, they find that the standard deviation should be about 0.01 and end up with the correct answer.
ldlafountain
I am working on a problem for my Statistics class and I am looking for some clarification and some direction.

The questions asks about a study that has been done on the diameter of 50 screws (both digital and vernier scale calipers). The differences in the measured diameters had the following frequency distribution.

Difference: Frequency:
-0.03 1
-0.02 3
-0.01 11
0.00 19
0.01 10
0.02 6

I am then asked to make a 90% two sided interval for the mean difference in digital and vernier readings.

So naturally I find the mean of all of the differences by adding up all the differences (by their frequencies) and I get 0.004 as my mean and 0.1148 as my standard deviation. Next I would try and find the t-value for Q(.95) (because we are using a 90% two sided confidence interval). I had to look it up online I came up with 1.677. I would plug this all into the following equation:

x-bar (plus-minus) t*(s/sqrt(n))

I have tried this multiple times and I keep obtaining the wrong intervals. According to the back of my book I should obtain the answer [-0.0023,0.0031], but I come nowhere near. Can anyone help me? If there is something wrong with my math or the way I set up the problem, please let me know. I am thankful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Idlafountain! Welcome to MHB! :)

I can tell that your standard deviation is wrong. Looking at the data we can see that it should be about 0.01.
How did you calculate it?

Honestly, I plugged all of the numbers into a standard deviation calculator online. I actually used the one from mathisfun.com. I got the mean the same way. But what could the standard deviation be. I understand how it is calculated, but I am still having issues.

ldlafountain said:
Honestly, I plugged all of the numbers into a standard deviation calculator online. I actually used the one from mathisfun.com. I got the mean the same way. But what could the standard deviation be. I understand how it is calculated, but I am still having issues.

Perhaps a typing mistake? Perhaps there should be a zero after the decimal point?
Or else use a different calculator.

Btw, the remainder of your calculation is fine.

So I double checked my calculation on standard deviation and I got 0.0116.

So to plug it all in, I should be able to use:

.0004(plus/minus) 1.677 * (0.0116/sqrt{50})

I got the 50 from my sample size and I got the 1.677 from a t-value chart. After plugging this in, I do not get the answer I a supposed to get in the back of the book. Any ideas?

ldlafountain said:
So I double checked my calculation on standard deviation and I got 0.0116.

So to plug it all in, I should be able to use:

.0004(plus/minus) 1.677 * (0.0116/sqrt{50})

I got the 50 from my sample size and I got the 1.677 from a t-value chart. After plugging this in, I do not get the answer I a supposed to get in the back of the book. Any ideas?

Calculating what you have, I get:
$$0.0004 \pm 1.677 \cdot (0.0116/\sqrt{50}) = [-0.0023508, +0.0031508] \approx [-0.0024, +0.0032]$$

Isn't that what your book's answer is?
(That is, the book seems to have made either a rounding error, or a slight mistake in calculating the standard deviation.)

I just wanted to add that I get the same thing as ILS (after rounding) when running this in R.
Code:
data <- c(-0.03,rep(-0.02,3),rep(-0.01,11),rep(0,19),rep(0.01,10),rep(0.02,6))
t.test(data,conf.level=0.9)

The 90% CI is $(-0.002350061,0.003150061)$ and the SD is $0.01159873$. :)

1. What is a two-sided confidence interval?

A two-sided confidence interval is a range of values that is used to estimate the true value of a population parameter, such as a mean or proportion. It takes into account both the upper and lower bounds of the interval, providing a range of values within which the true value is likely to fall.

2. How is a two-sided confidence interval calculated?

A two-sided confidence interval is calculated by taking a sample from a population and using statistical methods to determine the range of values within which the true population parameter is likely to fall. This is typically done by using the sample mean, standard deviation, and sample size to calculate the margin of error and then constructing the interval around the sample mean.

3. Why is a two-sided confidence interval useful?

A two-sided confidence interval is useful because it provides a more comprehensive estimate of the true value of a population parameter. It takes into account both the upper and lower bounds of the interval, providing a range of values rather than a single point estimate. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the variability and uncertainty associated with the estimate.

4. How do you interpret a two-sided confidence interval?

A two-sided confidence interval is typically interpreted as follows: "We are XX% confident that the true value of the population parameter falls within this range of values." For example, if the 95% confidence interval for the mean is 50 to 60, we can say that we are 95% confident that the true mean is between 50 and 60.

5. What factors can affect the width of a two-sided confidence interval?

The width of a two-sided confidence interval can be affected by several factors, including the sample size, the level of confidence desired, and the variability of the data. Generally, a larger sample size and a lower level of confidence will result in a narrower interval, while a smaller sample size and a higher level of confidence will result in a wider interval.