Help with Part (a) & (b) of Question - Appreciate Assistance!

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joe20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, the conversation discusses part (a) and part (b) of a question, with the speaker seeking help and clarification. In part (a), it is pointed out that the argument is incorrect due to an incorrect assumption of $O_R$. In part (b), the goal is to show that $a\odot b = 0_R$ implies $a = 0_R$ or $b = 0_R$. The equation is further simplified and factored to show that $a = 1$ or $b = 1$.
Joe20
Hello all, I have done part (a) of the question as attached and am not sure if they are correct. Would appreciate if you can help me to see. Next, I have no idea how I should do part (b). Greatly appreciate! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20180205_151340-min-min.jpg
    IMG_20180205_151340-min-min.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Q1.png
    Q1.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexis87,

Your argument for part (a) is incorrect. You assumed $O_R = 0$, but it's $1$. First note that $\oplus$ is commutative. Now given $a\in R$, $a\oplus 1 = a + 1 - 1 = a$, and hence $1 = O_R$. The additive inverse of an element $b\in R$ is $2 - b$ since $(2 - b) \oplus b = (2 - b) + b - 1 = 1$. This shows axioms 4 and 5 are satisfied.

To answer part (b), show that $a\odot b = 0_R$ in $R$ implies $a = 0_R$ or $b = 0_R$, i.e., $a\odot b = 1$ implies $a = 1$ or $b = 1$. The equation $a\odot b = 1$ is equivalent to $ab - (a + b) - 2 = 1$, which is equivalent to $ab - (a + b) - 1 = 0$. Factor the left-hand side of the latter equation to deduce $a = 1$ or $b = 1$.

1. What is the purpose of Part (a) and Part (b) in this question?

Part (a) and Part (b) are typically used to break down a larger question into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for a more organized and focused approach to finding a solution or answer.

2. Can you provide an example of how to approach Part (a) and Part (b) in a question?

Sure. Let's say the overall question is "What is the effect of temperature on plant growth?" Part (a) could ask "What is the average temperature in which the plant grows?" and Part (b) could ask "What specific temperature ranges have the most significant impact on the plant's growth?" This approach allows for a more thorough analysis of the topic at hand.

3. How do I know which part of the question to focus on first?

It is generally a good idea to start with Part (a) and work your way through the question in order. This will help you build a foundation of understanding before moving on to more complex or specific aspects of the question in Part (b).

4. Are there any tips for effectively answering Part (a) and Part (b) questions?

One tip is to carefully read the question and identify any key terms or phrases that can guide your approach to answering each part. It is also important to stay focused and not get sidetracked by irrelevant information.

5. Can I skip Part (a) and only answer Part (b) of a question?

It is not recommended to skip any parts of a question, as each part is typically designed to build upon the previous one. However, if you have a thorough understanding of the topic, you may be able to answer Part (b) without completing Part (a). Just be sure to check the requirements of the question and make sure you are answering it in full.